cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Relationship/link from Integrity Item to Source Object?

ptc-5150641
1-Newbie

Relationship/link from Integrity Item to Source Object?

It is possible to create a relationship or link from an Integrity Item to a Source Object?

10 REPLIES 10

The best way is by using change packages. Are you using change packages? Are you trying to establish a relationship outside of CPs?

David, I think my answer to your question is Yes. We have a tool that copys the information in the integrity item to create another item. The relationship here is that the item is really a checklist and the object is a document that contains the same checklist. We want the checklist (item) to be flagged when the object is updated. I hope I am making sense here.

Being able to point from the item to the object would also work in this case.

Sounds to me like you want to enable change packages for your items and then require them (CPs) when checking in the document. The CP can be created within the copied item.

Is there a simplier way? If I can just point to the integrity item that would work best.

You can invent (and maintain!) just about anything you want with trigger scripts. CPs are already there and firmly supported. You can keep an item open for each document, add a CP to the item for each checkin, and set your notification rule to notify you on increase in CP count. It gets you just what you want with all native functionality.

Just open your Integrity Item as Integrity admin und create a siProject field that point to your Source Object.

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-5150641)

To expand on David's excellent answer, there was a feature that has matured through Integrity 10 releases called Source Link Fields. The Integrity 10.4 Server Administration Guide page 312 (link opens in new window) describes Source Link Fields. The Integrity 10.4 Client User Guide page 56 (link opens in new window) describes how Source Link Fields may be used. Earlier releases of Integrity 10.x do not share the same functionality as the 10.4 release because it has been a focus of feature development through the 10.x releases.

You can get a general idea of how it has improved through the 10.x releases by reading the 10.4 Release Notes (link opens in new window).

I hope that this additional information is useful.

Regards,

Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
LLawton
14-Alexandrite
(To:KaelLizak)

This is the use case I've been struggling withfor a long time: Allow an end-user to link an item to a file (member or specific member rev) by simply browsing to it. Mega bonus: do it in the web interface.In other words, imagine doing what you can do whith an "SI Project" field, but applied to a member.

CPs are not the answer because the revision already exists, it's been created by someone else in this use case.

The problem is, the user interface of Source Links is incredibly kludgey: You can only use drag-and-drop in the client between multiple windows, the presentation is awkward, double-click works (client) and doesn't (web). If you have two Source Link fields on an item and you double-click on one, the window that opens still shows you both. And there's more.

There's definitely potential there that I'd like to take advantage of (still only on 10.4), but I certainly wouldn't call it mature, it's got a long way to go to be really useful.

And I need it in the web interface!

mrump
14-Alexandrite
(To:LLawton)

Hi Laurent,

Laurent Lawton wrote:

This is the use case I've been struggling withfor a long time: Allow an end-user to link an item to a file (member or specific member rev) by simply browsing to it. Mega bonus: do it in the web interface.In other words, imagine doing what you can do whith an "SI Project" field, but applied to a member.

CPs are not the answer because the revision already exists, it's been created by someone else in this use case.

The problem is, the user interface of Source Links is incredibly kludgey: You can only use drag-and-drop in the client between multiple windows, the presentation is awkward, double-click works (client) and doesn't (web). If you have two Source Link fields on an item and you double-click on one, the window that opens still shows you both. And there's more.

There's definitely potential there that I'd like to take advantage of (still only on 10.4), but I certainly wouldn't call it mature, it's got a long way to go to be really useful.

And I need it in the web interface!

I couldn't agree more.

I just tested it on 10.9:

In the  fat client, there is

- The Drag&Drop gesture to edit the field (not perfect but better than nothing)

- the Double Click behavior to open the related Member content (or at least navigate in the Source Trace view)

BUT in the Web interface:

- Not editing option at all

and even worse

- No way to enter the members or projects content AT ALL

All necessary information to create a valid Hyperlink to the SI Web interface is available, but for some reason the IM Item view does not use it !

I'm currently thinking about working around this with a trigger that automatically generates URL links in a text field for the content of the source trace/link field's content.

It should be doable, but why do I even have to think about it.

Top Tags