cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Scheduled trigger that sends a report or query link in an eMail

DanR.
10-Marble

Scheduled trigger that sends a report or query link in an eMail

How can I create a scheduled trigger that sends a report or query link in an eMail at a given time?  Not an email of each item.  Simply an email with a link to a query or report that is sent via a scheduled trigger. Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:DanR.)

Hello Daniel,

Do you mean the trivial case of just sending a hard-coded link to a report or query?  You could do it with the emailAdvanced.js trigger, specifying the message body to contain a link to the query or trigger in question.

If that's not what you mean, can you supply a little more context?

Thanks,

Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
DanR.
10-Marble
(To:KaelLizak)

Really?  And what do I use for a Query on the "Query" tab?

This is NOT trivial!

I fully understand how to use the emailadvanced.js script.  If it is a rule based trigger it fires when ever that rule is true.  If it is a scheduled trigger it requires a query be selected in the "Query" tab.

I can't be any more clearer.  Like I stated "How can I create a scheduled trigger that sends a query link (simply a link to the query) in an email at a given time?  Not an eMail of each item."

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite

Hi Daniel,

Now that I've tried running emailAdvanced.js as a scheduled trigger, I understand your frustration.

For sending out a static message to a pre-determined list, I would consider sending a message via SMTP from the command line, similar to this article at HowToGeek (Windows with PowerShell).  Use the Task Scheduler to schedule it, as described in this Microsoft KB article.  Unix variants have similar options (mail from the CLI, scheduled tasks).

If the above isn't an option for you because the Integrity host is locked down by your IT/IS team, then you can try this (which is basically a hack):  Create a scheduled trigger using email.js instead.  Create a query that runs quickly and returns no results (with some rule like AND (Type=<someType>, Type!=<someType>)), and use that as the backing query.  Note that email.js doesn't allow HTML formatted messages.  You'll also need to remove the last if clause in the trigger script, or it won't run since it checks to see if the query returns any results before sending.  You'll probably want to make a new version of email.js for this particular case.

You could do the same thing with emailAdvanced.js if you really want to send HTML content.  The process would be more or less the same as for email.js, but that particular script will require much more hacking to work.  That sort of hacking is outside of the scope of Support, so I won't suggest opening a case in this instance, but rather suggest that you contact your Account Manager to get Global Services involved, if you don't want to do it internally.  It might be easier to pull the part of emailAdvanced.js which encapsulates the HTML into the message, and paste that into your email.js script.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
MichaelChatel
20-Turquoise

Just to add to this, as I see Kael has already responded with a work-around suggestion...

For reference in this thread, (already mentioned this under the context of a support case), the Integrity trigger mechanism expects to work against Integrity items.  (ex.  pre and post triggers, for item updates).

So the "scheduled" trigger is designed to expect that "query" to know what the scheduled trigger is supposed to work against.

Rule based - well, it works based on that instead, but it's still working against items, as it's "driver".

So, that is why the "scheduled" trigger configuration, forces the query selection.

ppatel-2
1-Newbie

Hi Dan:

Not sure if following helps:-

Configure Schedule Trigger

Take code snippet of few functions from EmailAdvanced.js trigger

if (eb.getEventContext() == "Schedule")
{
         log("** Start Schedule Event :" + date);

var Items = args.getIssues();

var ReportLink =   "http://{hostname}:{port}/im/runreport?selection={ReportName}&mks.disconnect=true"

var QueryLink = http://{hostname}:{port}/im/viewissue?query={queryname}

// Concat Item Or other

Call to NewEmailFunction(ReportLink,QueryLink)

// It may require changes to email function but doable.

}

Top Tags