cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Trace from Relationship Field

nborrerojr.
7-Bedrock

Trace from Relationship Field

I have nodes from two different documents. The nodes are different types. We'll call them Requirement A and Test Case B.

Test Case B was traced to Requirement A by doing the normal alt+click on Test Case B and then drag and drop onto Requirement A. This worked fine and shows Test Case B in the "Verified By" field on Requirement A.

Next I want to trace Test Case B onto another Requirement in the same document as Requirement A. We'll call this one Requirement C. To do this, I select Test Case B from the "Verified By" relationship field on Requirement A and then do the alt+click and drag and drop. When I drag it over Requirement C, it shows the "Create trace" tool tip. But when I drop it, I get an error that says:

"MKS124719: The specified item 1,234,567 is not a segment. It is an item of type Test Case."

In the client log, I see the error right after:

at mks.ic.ci.commands.InsertSegmentCommand.doExecute(InsertSegmentCommand.java:52)

Why is it trying to do an insert segment? What I expected it to do was create a trace between Requirement C and Test Case B. I believe I used to be able to perform this action with an older version of the client. We are currently using client version 11.2.

These nodes are not actually requirement and test case. They are custom node types that we have created. Neither one acts as a test case.

3 REPLIES 3

That appears as if it may be a bug.  I have tried it from my 12.1 client and alt drag and drop from both the relationship field and the downstream or upstream content view creates the trace successfully.  Can you please submit a support ticket with perhaps some screen shots of your usage/drag and drop actions..

I tried it on the 10.9 client and I'm seeing the same issue so I'm hoping this is a configuration thing that can be fixed. The below error was received when selecting an item in the top relationship field and attempting to trace it to the item on the bottom using alt+drag&drop.

error.jpg

I can reproduce on 12.1 (R&V Solution) and 11.2 (ALM Solution) only if I have the trace field in my document view columns, and use alt-drag-drop from the trace field table to another node in the same document.

It seems to be specific to dragging the item from the relationship field in the document columns.  If I try from the item preview, it's fine. Also from the Relationships viewer, it's fine. 

Top Tags