cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Version Edit Fields

nxpet
12-Amethyst

Version Edit Fields

Hi there, can someone please explain me exactly what is allowed to edit on versioned items and what is not?

Following problem for example: I have a pick field on my Specification Item. I added this pick field to the "Version Edit Fields" in the Document Model. But when I try to change the pick field on a versioned item I get the error message

"Could not save modified item [ID]-[Revision]: MKS930844: Specification: [ID]-[Revision] is versioned. This operation cannot be applied to versioned documents or items."

So, does that mean not all fields can be "Version Edit Fields"? What is the logic behind that and why?

Thanks, Timo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nxpet
12-Amethyst
(To:nxpet)

Problem solved. There was a trigger, which checked that pick field and updated a second field. That second field was not editable for versions. Removing the trigger or making the second field also editable for versions solved the problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
awalsh
17-Peridot

Hi Timo

While there are some limitations on the Version Edit fields, a basic pick list should be allowed. 

The list of field types allowed for the Version Edit Fields is listed in the Help Center: Server Administration > Item Type Attributes > Setting Up Documents > Customizing Document Content >  Version Edit Fields. There's further information on how different field types as well under : Server Administration > Item Type Attributes > Setting Up Documents > Document Versions.

I suggest you open a PTC Support case to investigate why this field is not working. 

nxpet
12-Amethyst
(To:awalsh)

Hi @awalsh,

I tried again in our test environment to allow version edits on a pick list field and this time it worked. There is just one difference: the pick list of my first test was a significant edit field when it was checked in. In order to change in version I converted it of course from significant edit to version edit field in "Document model". But it was checked in, when it was a significant edit field. Could that be the reason?

Thanks, Timo

nxpet
12-Amethyst

Update: I just tried myself. It does not have to do with it, that it was a significant edit field before. I tried again with a new pick list field and it worked, even when it was a significant edit field when checking in.

I am still trying to figure out, what the difference between those two field is. I do not see any relevant difference yet... still testing what the reason is...

nxpet
12-Amethyst

Problem solved. There was a trigger, which checked that pick field and updated a second field. That second field was not editable for versions. Removing the trigger or making the second field also editable for versions solved the problem.

awalsh
17-Peridot

interesting! I'm glad you figured it out.
nxpet
12-Amethyst
(To:awalsh)

I tried to add the "State" field to Version Edit Fields, but it didn't work. I can not select it.

In the help article you provided "State" is not listed as field that cannot be added. Further it is not a significant edit field on that type.

Is the article not complete or is there something else that might block this?

Top Tags