cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

What return values are expected of a Diff/Merge Third Party Tool?

fpeschka
1-Newbie

What return values are expected of a Diff/Merge Third Party Tool?

We are using MKS Integrity 2007 and I'm trying to implement Beyond Compare 4 as a Diff/Merge tool.

Calling the program works fine with the tutorial over here: Beyond Compare Technical Support

The only problem is that, after merging, MKS tells me that "The merge status from the third party tool is unknown".

The return values of Beyond Compare seem rather obvious and sensible - 0 for successful merge.

What does MKS expect as a return value here, so the merge is automatically considered successful? Is there a list of return values and what MKS interprets them as?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:fpeschka)

I haven't tried it out (I don't have BC4), but I suspect it won't work, based mainly on some internet searches.  It wouldn't be that difficult to try, though.

Source Integrity diff return codes are here under Diagnostics.  BC4 return codes are here under Return codes.

I'm curious to learn what you find.

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite

Hello Florian Peschka‌,

Currently, Source Integrity doesn't support Beyond Compare v4.  Please contact PTC Integrity Lifecycle Management Support to register your organization with enhancement RFC 997067/CS186778‌.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I am not in a position to decide such things, but I will pass it along.

In the meantime... would it not work to create a batch file that maps Beyond Compare return codes to the ones that Source Integrity expects?

If I knew the codes I need to return, this seems like a minor problem to work out, but I cannot find the list of what return codes Source Integrity expects from the third party tool.

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite

I haven't tried it out (I don't have BC4), but I suspect it won't work, based mainly on some internet searches.  It wouldn't be that difficult to try, though.

Source Integrity diff return codes are here under Diagnostics.  BC4 return codes are here under Return codes.

I'm curious to learn what you find.

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:KaelLizak)

Hello Florian Peschka‌,

Did those values help you at all?

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Yes, they helped - I am now trying to create an in-between Tool that will translate between the two. Unfortunately this is not as easy as I thought.

I will report if I have any considerable success.

Top Tags