cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

inject live web/server content(graphic) into IM item

cpabst
1-Newbie

inject live web/server content(graphic) into IM item

Dear Community,

I am struggeling a little with an approach...

I would like to show an image from a server, using a Longtext field (Richtext activated) - no problem so far.

Using the menu 'Insert->Image->URL', the client pulls a copy, and attaches it to the item. But this is of course only static.

Modifying the the <!-- MKS HTML --> content a little via the CLI, I was able to force him to keep using the server address.

But also here some sort of caching mechanism seems to be in place. Because if I replace the original image on the server, no update happens.

If you ask yourself what I am planning to do... We do have an external Reporting-Engine producing nightly charts (rendered images). We would like to give the user a chance to

have the nightly report within his item without having to navigate somewhere else (of course we could set a link to the browser etc. but we would like to keep it within the item).

And why is all that? Unfortunately, Integrity does not allow to include its own Charts within an Item view (or even as RichText content).

I am well aware of the fact, that our approach is quite against the general approach of 100% traceability throughout the Items lifecycle - as of course the content the user sees,

changes every day without appearing in the History of the specific item. But actually this is exactly what would need.

Alternatively it would also be great if there would be a (undocumented) way to include a chart into a specific item. Or any other approach (iframe or anything similar)

BTW: The URL would be adjusted for every item individually via a triggered script, that personalizes the URL for each item. And the field is of course one that is not editable by the user.

Sorry about all the infos, just wanted to give you the best possible overview.

We are working on: 10.4.0.4301

Any help is highly appreciated, I already spent several hours trying to achieve my target.

Thanks,

Chris

8 REPLIES 8
tketz
4-Participant
(To:cpabst)

Hey Chris,

I tried this on our server (10.8) and it works.

1. added an image by 'Insert->Image->URL'

2. then changed the file (in windows explorer) to another picture

3. next reload the gui (F5) or double Click the item

did I unterstand you right?

if you want to have a look at the cache go to this path <Integrity Server Install Dir>\server\mks\IMBulk for default

(maybe you have other place in properties defined)

Best Regards,

Tobi

cpabst
1-Newbie
(To:tketz)

Hi Tobi,

thanks for your answer. Yes, you got it absolutely right.

Unfortunately it behaves differently on my system.

As I said, we are working on 10.4. Maybe something has changed since then.

What happens if I follow your description, the Items becomes an attachment of this item (during insert 'URL' is selected).

As I described before, when I tweak the RichText content a little, it is possible to force him to keep the actual URL as source, but I guess it is still loaded from the Cache.

We are planning to update our system in the not so far future to 10.9 (as soon as it is available).

Regarding the Cache, is there any chance to configure the behavior of the Cache in order force him to load graphic from URL directly?

Thanks,

Chris

tketz
4-Participant

Hey,

i think there is an im diag command for that, but i don't know it.

Here you need help from support.

In my option I get no Attachment when I use "url" instead of Attachment in the dialog.

But it works.

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:tketz)

Hello Tobias Ketz‌, Christoph Pabst‌,

Thanks for pointing this out.  This was fixed in Integrity Lifecycle Manager 10.8.  Versions prior to that won't update the image in Integrity when it is changed on the source server.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
MichaelChatel
20-Turquoise

Christoph, speaking directly to your "chart on an item" scenario, you bring up;

It sounds like you (or your customer) would ultimately be interested in RFC 116327 "Ability to embed Chart objects into items".  If there is a customer wanting this feature, I'd suggest opening a case with Support, so we can link up the customer to the RFC.

There is also another RFC (16567), which calls for new functionality, for ad-hoc charting interactors/temporary charts, etc...  That one is broader, but may touch on some of the charting needs you are trying to work-around.

khoppe
14-Alexandrite
(To:MichaelChatel)

Hello Michael,

could you please confirm the RFC no.  16567  ?

Creating a case I've got the reply that this number does not exist in PTC' system for RFC's

MichaelChatel
20-Turquoise
(To:khoppe)

Sorry, looks like I made a typo, and forgot a digit.  It's RFC # 116567.  I've let the support rep know as well, for the "case" you opened as well.

khoppe
14-Alexandrite
(To:MichaelChatel)

thanx

Top Tags