cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

proxy-settings in mksclient.properties

JensN.
13-Aquamarine

proxy-settings in mksclient.properties

Hi @all,

if i want to install an integrity-client with silent install i#m using the mksclient.properties-file. Since some weeks we're using a proxy, so i want to set the proxy-settings also at install-time. We have a split-setup: source at port 7001 and integrity at port 7003. The proxy is used only for source. But i didnt find an option to setup the client vie mksclient.properties for using the proxy only for source. MKS_PROXY_GLOBAL_USER=true is setting all connections to use the proxy, which we cannot use, because we want only one connection. There is no Option to set only one connection to the Proxy.

Any hints? Thanks,

Jens

3 REPLIES 3
khoppe
14-Alexandrite
(To:JensN.)

We have a comparable situation with source servers to address different.

Our workaround is the following:

1. Let the installation run without Proxy Setting
  2. Copy the needed Proxy Setting into the user's IntegrityClient.rc file (see User's homedirectory)

My suggest:

Check in a well-configured client the entries that you have. Use these entries as template.

Example from us:

IntegrityClient.errata1v.abc.com.7004.proxyServerID=direct

(direct connection to host errata1v.abc.com, Port=7004)

IntegrityClient.mks3v.abc.com.7002.proxyServerID=cnsmks1.abc.com\:7001

(Server mks3v.abc.com, Port 7002 uses Proxy cnsmks1.abc.com, Port 7001)

Greetings,

Klaus

JensN.
13-Aquamarine
(To:khoppe)

Hi Klaus,

thanks for your answer. Unfortunately we cannot use your workaround, because we have a n infrastructure, where most machines are getting Integrity before the user gets his home-directory. And many machines are shared (over virtualization) between many users, and the IT-department couldnt know, which machine will owned by which user.

But this leads me to another question: Which config-file for Integrity has a higher priority? If we prefill the IntegrityClientSite.rc in the program-directory "manually", is it overruled by settings in IntegrityClient.rc in the user-directory?

kind regards, Jens

khoppe
14-Alexandrite
(To:JensN.)

Hi,

the IntegrityClient.rc in the user-directory consists of detail specification for a user that works together with the tools's IntegrityClientSite.rc in the program-directory.

You can start the client without having a user-directory, and the client will create it. In the past we faced some errors with the user's home directory and for situations we couldn't solve it within this directory the final solution was: stop the client, delete the home directory and restart the client. Advantage: Integrity runs. Disadvantage: the user has lost it's personal settings.

Back to my first suggestion:

for example the client settings regarding the proxy are important in combination with the IP Segment the computer is runnning in. Thus we have a script that identifies the IP-Segment, checks the nearest Proxy server available and copy the needed proxy setting into the user's home directory's IntegrityClient.rc.

As a second step this script calls the integrityg.exe (= start the client).

This helps for the following situations:

* a user is travelling to another location

* working from office over LAN (offshore) vs. working from Home Office via VPN (= connected to Headquarter)

* user's are using terminal server that are hosted worldwide using load-balancing

Maybe this gives more ideas to you?

Greetings,

Klaus

Top Tags