cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

searching for baselines?

JensN.
13-Aquamarine

searching for baselines?

Hi @all,

i've recently learned (after talking with support and R&D) that it seems that searching for older document-baselines isn't possible in Integrity (and at the moment there are no plans to implement such a feature). Hmmm.

At the moment we're evaluating the idea to develop a tool, which is doing this outside of integrity by using either the API or CLI. But maybe someone out there has already a workaround to share? Thank you...

Cheers, Jens

6 REPLIES 6

Hello Jens,

what do you mean by "searching for older document-baselines". The baselines are visible in the Label tab, aren't they?

Volker

JensN.
13-Aquamarine
(To:VolkerEckardt)

Hi Volker,

yes, in the label-tab you can see baselines. But outside of one document, where you can search for baselines? Searching for a baseline over more than one document? My users will express the exact use cases thy want to be solved with this, and afterwards i will put these use cases into this post...

cheers, Jens 

Hi Jens,

now I understand better. In fact, I would also like to get such Baseline Information queryable, but for the purpose of linking documents by baseline. This and only this is possible with document versioning. But not every baseline will become a version, so there is still a gap.

Just some ideas that belongs somehow to this "combined baseline and search" topic:

a) New Document Type "Doc List"

to put documents together you can create a combined document and link all documents of interest into it. Lets say the new document type is called "Doc List", then you can link a Spec and a Req. Doc into it. You may baseline the Doc List as usual. A trigger is required to bring down the baseline to all doc childs.

b) Linking Doc Versions via. Relationship

you can link into a relationship field dedicated Integrity Documents and/or Documents Versions. Example: "Documented By" on project item.

c) Catch the Baseline Action

A trigger can catch the baseline action and can do something with it.

This would allow you to put the baseline into a new document field, which you can use to search for.

Back to your initial request, the option c) would be something you are looking for. This would be a good workaround, what do you think?

Volker

JensN.
13-Aquamarine
(To:VolkerEckardt)

Hi Volker,

sorry for the late answer, just missed this post within the holidays. Option C seems to be a good approach, we'll try to do this. But overall i think a general functionality of this kind should be ootb in a tool like Integrity.

cheers, Jens

tdalon
4-Participant
(To:JensN.)

You can output the baselines that have a label by using the CLI im viewissue --showLabels.

Removing the time information (part after "against time") you can then link back to a document baseline using --asOf=label.

JensN.
13-Aquamarine
(To:tdalon)

Hi Thierry,

thanks for the hint, and thats a workaround we think about at the moment. But because this isn't a workaround we would like to give directly to our users we have to build some kind of mini tool wich will be called by a custom action. And i still think that baseline-handling should be part of the main product, so we already opened a case and will generate an RfC or an idea from this.

cheers, Jens

Top Tags