cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

xsd-templates for reporting?

JensN.
13-Aquamarine

xsd-templates for reporting?

Hi @all,

if we want to do some reporting with our items, and we want to export these reports to xml, is it possible to use some xsd as a template? Thanks,

kind regards, Jens

4 REPLIES 4
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:JensN.)

Hello Jens,

I do not understand how you would like to use XSD as a template for your XML. You can certainly create XML output instead of, for instance, HTML. If you compose the report output correctly, it can certainly be made to satisfy a schema definition.

The easiest way to do this would likely be to start with an HTML recipe in your server's /data/reports/recipes directory. Copy the recipe, and modify it to form the XML you are looking for.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
JensN.
13-Aquamarine
(To:KaelLizak)

Hi Kael,

since our users doesnt have the permission to change the reporting-recipes they have no chance to do such customizing. The IT-staff could do this, but they didnt have the ressources to do it.

I also believe that the way to build some "nice" reports with integrity is not very good usable and flexible. If i will follow your suggestion i will have ONE recipe for ONE usecase. If a user could use its own template, like css, oder xsd, or even own (client-side) recipes this would be much more usable.

kind regards, Jens

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite

Hello Jens,

I am sorry for the long delay.

Given the situation, I think you may want to open an enhancement request with Integrity support.

The alternative is to do some code wrangling with the API to generate reports for users in a way that you would like (e.g. by outputting the results to an Excel table, and generating charts/scripts/etc. qualified by the user). I concede that this could end up being nice for users, but will likely keep you occupied for a time proportional to how elaborate you choose to make these reports.

Google shows some hits for report engines in Java. This StackOverflow article makes some good suggestions as well. Unfortunately, I haven't yet had the time to try any of them out.

Finally, you could contact your account manager and request a services engagement to provide the kind of report generation you are looking for. They may have something similar in their library.

You may want to investigate all three of those paths to determine your best course of action.

Warm Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
mrump
14-Alexandrite

Hi Jens,

it is possible to create reports, that are not based on the servers recipe file, but contain all the "recipe" inside the report object.

These reports can be customized by anyone who creates a copy. No Admin permissions needed.

Sure this is sometimes hard to maintain, but as a quick hack and for private testing purposes I do use it quite often.

HTH Matthias

Top Tags