cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part II Enhancements on Windows Explorer Integration for Windchill Desktop Integration 10.2

Re: Part II Enhancements on Windows Explorer Integration for Windchill Desktop Integration 10.2

‌,  Yes, that is good to hear!  Thanks for letting us know it works now!

(Also glad you are up and running again!)

Re: Part II Enhancements on Windows Explorer Integration for Windchill Desktop Integration 10.2

Hello Chris,

sorry also to you for my late response here because of the same reason that I crashed my system.

But on the other hand I have good news to you about the IBAs.

So when you add the IBA to the table view you will get the information displayed without the need of any configuration. This is done the following way:

1. Create or edit a table view in Windchill's web application and add the IBA that you want to make available (some restrictions apply but I will come to this later)
  2. Use the right mouse button menu on the Product / Project / Library... nodes in the Explorer Integration and select Windchill Views to select your costumed view
  3. If you now open the Product folder your either already have the attribute column visible or you have to add it like mentioned in the above blog post.

This is how the result looks like:

IBA in view.jpg

But as mentioned there is one single restriction:

Alias and calculated attributes will show up in the available columns in Windows Explorer but they will not show values. This is because of the DTI not supporting alias and calculated attributes. Product management is aware of this.

When it comes to displaying structures:

As you maybe remember this already came up during my last blog post and you may be remembering Scott Morris‌ answer to one comment that there had been internal discussions about how structures could be represented without breaking the UX.

But as you all share some good perspective on the need and requirements that you have I will definitely make Product Management aware of your comments to my blog posts.

Hope this answers your questions.

Kind regards,

Björn

Hello Björn,

Thanks for a nice post. I have a question that is maybe slightly of topic.

We have a customer that is using DTI, mainly in office but also the explorer integration.

They do however have performance/stability issues

- It can take several seconds for the context menu to open in explorer.

- Open a document in word fail first time, a blank documents opens instead of the actual document requested. Second attempt works.

I have a gut feeling that it is related to the fact that they are working in a high latency (~350ms) environment, even if they do have a replica for the content files.

Do you know if there are any possibility to improve this? Any settings/preferences available?

Thanks

Anders

You can also move documents between folders/contexts using drag-and-drop. The trick is to hold down the Shift key:

http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc102_hc/DTIExplorerDragDrop.html

By "context menu" I'm assuming you mean the right-click menu in Windows? If they only ever use the right-click Windchill menu when working under the Windchill Documents node in explorer, they can turn it off the rest of the time using the "Windchill Context Menu for Windows Explorer" configuration option.

They might also tinker with some of the other options in the configuration menu: http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc102_hc/DTIServersManage.html

However, it sounds like this might end up as a Tech Support call.