cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Access control/policy rules to enable re-assign life-cycle state

vmcdaniel
2-Guest

Access control/policy rules to enable re-assign life-cycle state

Hey guys,
What is the magic combination to allow users to re-assign life-cycles? Please tell me it is not the administration permission.
-Vaughn
4 REPLIES 4

Vaughn -

My understanding is that you must go into the "Policy Administration" utility, get to the appropriate "Domain" and "Access Control" table, and add the "Set State" permission for each Context, Type, State and Principle (group or user) you want to have such permission. If there are many of these it can be a tedious task for sure.

You didn't ask, but it might be a good idea to first review your Life Cycle Template and make sure it is set up to allow the transition from each state you desire. The Life Cycle Template defines the allowed state transitions IF permission is given. In other words, just because someone may have set state 'permission' doesn't mean they can change from the existing state to any other state they wish.

I probably didn't have the answer you are looking for which was is there an EASY way to do this? Maybe someone out there has an advanced or semi-automated way to do this, but the only way I know of is to make a list and manually 'update' each applicable line item, checking them off one by one.

Joe Lee

ICON Aircraft Windchill Administrator

Joe - In this case you have to Re-Assign Lifecycle, not Set State.

I believe that Re-Assign Lifecycle is reserved for Admin, or at least Manager of the context. Shouldn't be done w/o lots of planning and care.

thanks for the info guys. Granting the Administration policy enables the reassign life cycles.

-Vaughn
Sent from my mobile.

Yes, totally right there, Mike.

Probably shouldn't have touched on the subject of Life Cycle Templates which opens up a whole other set of issues requiring careful thought and planning.

Thanks for identifying this point of clarification and caution.

Joe

----------
Top Tags