Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active and Passive Links

Active and Passive Links

Everytime I try to search the exploder archives, it doesn't work, so I
apologize if someone has answered this in the past.

We are in the throws of data migration for our Windchill 7.0
implementation, and in our legacy data we utilize what we call "group
drawings". Think of them as an AutoCAD-based family table. As an
example, we have a single AutoCAD drawing that represents, say 20
different screws (each with a different part number).

In migrating the data, it seems to me the correct way to load these
would be to load the single CAD file and create links to all of the
referenced parts in Windchill PDMLink 7.0. PDMLink will allow an
"active" link to only one part, and "passive" links to all others. What
are the properties of each of these links, and how would they affect
revisions to the group drawing and/or affected parts? If I revise the
drawing, am I required to revise the actively-linked part each time as
well?

Regards,

<http: www.steris.com="/> Robert M. Priest, PE, PMP
Lead Engineer / PLM Program Manager
1 REPLY 1

Re: Active and Passive Links

Hi,
The active link (EPMBuildLink) and passive link (EPMDescribelink) have a different behaviour.
The passive link, which is similar to the decribe link bettween WTPart and WTDoc, has the same behaviour (no synchronism between the two linked objetcs if you iterate or revise part or epm ...)
For the active link, it's a little bit more complicated, because of the synchroneous iteration or revision of the two linked objects ONLY if you act on the EPMDoc in a WorkGroupManager Workspace. If you act on the WTPart (in windchill explorer or PIE), no synchronization occurs ...

I don't know the Autocad's WorkGroupManager, but normally, data model is consistent with all MCAD sofwares, and with Catia V5, family tables are reprensented by one "master" EPMDoc wich contain the reference model, and (in your case) 20 other EPMDocs wich reference the master one. And each EPMDoc would be actively linked with a WTPart (each with a different part number) ...
regards

PERASSO Gregory
PLM Engineer - Windchill Expert
TURBOMECA

> Message du 17/11/05 00:14
> De : "Priest, Bob"
> A : "PTC/USER Windchill Solutions Discussion"
> Copie à:
> Objet : [solutions] Active and Passive Links
>
>
Everytime I try to search the exploder archives, it doesn't work, so I apologize if someone has answered this in the past.

We are in the throws of data migration for our Windchill 7.0 implementation, and in our legacy data we utilize what we call "group drawings". Think of them as an AutoCAD-based family table. As an example, we have a single AutoCAD drawing that represents, say 20 different screws (each with a different part number).

In migrating the data, it seems to me the correct way to load these would be to load the single CAD file and create links to all of the referenced parts in Windchill PDMLink 7.0. PDMLink will allow an "active" link to only one part, and "passive" links to all others. What are the properties of each of these links, and how would they affect revisions to the group drawing and/or affected parts? If I revise the drawing, am I required to revise the actively-linked part each time as well?

Regards,

Robert M. Priest, PE, PMP
Lead Engineer / PLM Program Manager
Announcements
LiveWorx Call For Papers Happening Now!