cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Add components and drawings to workspace when selecting the top level

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Add components and drawings to workspace when selecting the top level

I have been given a task of taking 20 top level asssemblies and exporting them with all of their components (parts and assemblies) and associated drawings. I select the file and use actions to Add to Workspace. I have changed the Collect Related Business objects in my preferences so Parts, Drawings, Family Tables and CAD/Dynamic Documents are all set to yes. When I perform the add (press the OK), I get all the components and assemblies, but only some of the drawings are being pulled over. I am thinking this must be an association link between the part/assembly file and the drawing that is missing.

I did try just adding a drawing or a part and found that the drawing will include the part with the add but the part will not include the drawing. If I can fix the associativity between the part/assembly and drawing, then when I go to add the top level, it will hopefully pull all of the parts/assemblies and related drawings.

Does anyone have a suggestion on where I need to look in Windchill to fix this asscoiativity issue? I do not want to do it through Oracle if I can avoid that.

4 REPLIES 4
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:BenLoosli)

Do you get the same results if you go to the advanced tab, select All, and then select the "Collect Related Drawings" icon?advanced_tab.png

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:RandyJones)

I did try that and it does not change the Add to list.

One condition we have is that these assemblies MUST be loaded As Stored, sicne they are for archival/history of project storage for the governement. 

I did find by playing with some very minor parts that our designers have modified the part file after the drawing was last saved. What I am thinking is that the As Stored condition of the top assembly is utilizing version A.6 of part 123, the 123.drw is internally associated to 123.prt A.1, therefore it will not be pulled down with the As Stored data.

When I make this change so that 123.drw A.3 is stored at the same time as 123.prt A.7, and do an add of the part, it does pull the drawing along. Before my change, the part would not add the drawing, but the drawing would add the A.1 part.

A step in the right direction as to what is going on. It looks like I do need to remind the users to do their check-ins from the drawings and not modify parts after the drawing as been checked in. This has biten us before in sending files to manufacturing, too.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

When I make this change so that 123.drw A.3 is stored at the same time as 123.prt A.7, and do an add of the part, it does pull the drawing along. Before my change, the part would not add the drawing, but the drawing would add the A.1 part.

A step in the right direction as to what is going on. It looks like I do need to remind the users to do their check-ins from the drawings and not modify parts after the drawing as been checked in. This has biten us before in sending files to manufacturing, too.

One of the Promotion Request checks, we have created, is to check if the drawing is referencing the latest model.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

A couple of articles:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS259373

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS94453

That talk about this property:

com.ptc.core.collectionsrv.engine.isCompatibleDrawingAlwaysEnabled=true

This might help with the drawings whose "owner" model is newer than the drawing.

Top Tags