cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Adding custom units to Windchill

jenglish
4-Participant

Adding custom units to Windchill

Has anyone added non-OOTB units to Windchill for use in a classification schema?

Ex Windchill uses Hertz, but say you want to use MHz or Windchill uses seconds and you want nano seconds. I understand that conversions can be done, but I'd like to know if you can store non-base units in Windchill.

Regards,

John English
PLM/Web Manager
BAE SYSTEMS - IT
Johnson City NY
p: 607-770-2034
c: 607-242-3605

2 REPLIES 2
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:jenglish)

that's not a custom unit, just a supported Prefix. You have to create a system of measure that says you want frequency in terms of MHz, not the default Hz. Then as a user preference, you can view and edit that attribute in terms of MHz. Help docs are good in this area.

John,

There are a couple of ways of solving your attribute unit display problem.

If you always want one particular attribute to display with a particular unit, then you can do that by: Going to the Type and Attribute manager, open the Attribute Definition Manager and navigate to the attribute you are interested in. On the Qty of Measure section set an Override using the units you want. E.G. MHz.
The only time this approach causes problem is if you are using the attribute in more than one place with very different applications. We ran into this with “FLOW RATE”, where one use case wanted gal/minute, the other wanted Barrels/day. In that case we ended up using two different attributes.

If you have a lot of Attributes that use the same Quantity of measurement, and you always want them to be consistent, then you can achieve that by: Going to the Type and Attribute manager, open the Quantity of Measure Manager, and for the measurement you want E.G. Frequency, set an override for the measurement system you want.
We have also added a custom Measurement System we named "Metric", the main difference between this and the other choices is that lengths are in mm.

The attached document has all the useful information you need on the various attribute unit symbols and multipliers.
-----

Lewis

Top Tags