cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Advanced Search

EricHuffman
2-Guest

Advanced Search

Gurus,

I'm probably looking right over this but I'm having trouble doing this search.

I want to do a search where I specify the following:

--Owner

--Type

For example: I want to search for all the Pro/E assemblies that John Smith has in the Product X folder.

Below is what I would like to see.

Then I want to save that search because I will have to do this all the time.

Wildfire 4.0 Datecode m220

Windchill PDMLink 10.0 Datecode m030

Thanks,

Eric

11 REPLIES 11

In the screenshot Name field represents CAD Name..not user name.
You need to add a new field from criteria..If you can't find the created by/user name
criteria log a call to PTC..maybe it's a bug/preference.

regards
Venkata Kotra║Sr.Analyst, Engg Systems ║IS, HHI
[cid:image002.gif@01CDED93.45529D70]

Eric,

If you click Options then Add Context next to "Context" you can select which location you want to search in. Then if you click Add then More and select Created By next to "Criteria" you can specify the creator of the assembly by clicking the magnifying glass next to the text box. To narrow down the search to Pro/E and other CAD documents you can select the CAD Document checkbox in type but this would bring up more than .asm objects. To get the search you are looking for you would have to keep the search term as '*.asm' or you could put that as the criteria for Name or Number.

After you add the Created By, Context, and *.asm term, you can click the "Save this search" link in the top right and it should be all set for you. Please see attached image for better clarification.

Hope this helps,

Todd Burkhart

ProductSpace Solutions, Inc.

This user group never ceases to amaze. Many useful responses very quickly so thank you! By changing the type to "CAD Doc's" instead of "All" there are more options where I could select "Modified By" in the search criteria. Unfortunately, it appears you cannot specify down to a folder so this didn't work in my case. If someone knows how to add a folder please let me know.

Actually, technically, I want to search a Product only (no folders). What happens is the CAD files default to Product X and if the pro/e guys don't specify the folder upon check-in it gets dumped into Product X by default. This is acceptable to us, minor occasional housekeeping. So, I want to search Product X (small list) but not all the folders in Product X (huge list). Any ideas?

I found a workable alternate.
--Browse to the folder.
--Change the folder contents to show the owner name and sort by owner name.
--Type *.asm in the "Search in table"

This is not exactly what I want because the list is still huge and I want to show only the specified "owner" or "modified by" but it is a step closer.

Let me know if you have any additional ideas I could try.

Thanks,
Eric

I'm not sure about 10.0, but I'll give the answer for 10.1.

Uncheck the box for 'All Contexts', then pick the pull-down menu for
Options and pick Add Context. I then get a window to search for context
name (use wildcards) and can select one of my contexts.

Eric,

After you perform a "search in table" you will find the selected folder listed as a "context" in the search tab. You should be able to edit the search criteria and then save it as a global search to be used by everyone.

Just be sure to not delete the folder (unless your are on 10.1M20) as it will break the search function.

Best Regards,
Carsten Lawrenz
Kalypso
Delivering on the Promise of Innovation
m. 415.378.6374

On Jan 8, 2013, at 12:53 PM, "Huffman, Eric (CONTR)" <-<<a style="COLOR:" blue;=" text-decoration:=" underline&quot;=" target="_BLANK" href="mailto:-">>">mailto:->> wrote:

This user group never ceases to amaze. Many useful responses very quickly so thank you! By changing the type to "CAD Doc's" instead of "All" there are more options where I could select "Modified By" in the search criteria. Unfortunately, it appears you cannot specify down to a folder so this didn't work in my case. If someone knows how to add a folder please let me know.

Actually, technically, I want to search a Product only (no folders). What happens is the CAD files default to Product X and if the pro/e guys don't specify the folder upon check-in it gets dumped into Product X by default. This is acceptable to us, minor occasional housekeeping. So, I want to search Product X (small list) but not all the folders in Product X (huge list). Any ideas?

I found a workable alternate.
--Browse to the folder.
--Change the folder contents to show the owner name and sort by owner name.
--Type *.asm in the "Search in table"

This is not exactly what I want because the list is still huge and I want to show only the specified "owner" or "modified by" but it is a step closer.

Let me know if you have any additional ideas I could try.

Thanks,
Eric

You will need to search in Folder and later edit and save the query. See attached

FYI Search in Folder is only in WC10.1. WC10 was missing this

[cid:image001.gif@01CDEE4E.8B45CE40]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:EricHuffman)

Even on 9.1 M050 you can search within a folder, you just can't do it directly from the normal search page. First navigate to the folder, then use the "Search within folder" box right below the "Search within this product" box. While viewing the results you can choose to "Save This Search". You can also choose to save the URL (or at least the portion you care about) to make repeating this search easier in the future. The part that prevents this from being intuitive is that the search within the folder is based on some unique ID in the database, not based on the name of the folder. (This actually makes some sense since there could be many different sub-folders with the same name.) For a search within a folder called "006", the unique URL on my system here is /Windchill/netmarkets/jsp/search/executeSearch.jsp?containerRef=OR:wt.folder.SubFolder:19791">http://<servername>/Windchill/netmarkets/jsp/search/executeSearch.jsp?containerRef=OR:wt.folder.SubFolder:19791

Tom U.

[cid:image002.png@01CDEE76.0AAF88C0]

Yeah its just 10.0 that doesn’t have this. It’s everywhere in 9.

[cid:image001.gif@01CDEE5E.5E9BFCB0]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer
egifford
4-Participant
(To:EricHuffman)

Per PTC's site & CS22115

• The functionality to search within folder has been added since Windchill 10.0 M040 and Windchill 10.1 F00

Has anyone here applied the M040 patch & can you confirm that the search in folder function is back?

I followed the steps below but I am not getting it to work.
I'm using 10.0 M030 by the way and there is a search in folder but I don't see how to save the search. The folder will still not show up in the context search or search history.
It appears as though the search in table is more of a filter then a search.
Either I'm missing a step or this is not available in 10.0 M030.
[cid:image003.png@01CDEF4E.8E623220]

Thanks,
Eric
Top Tags