cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Alternate User Name

RichSPK
5-Regular Member

Alternate User Name

I was adding a new user to our Windchill instance and noticed the Alternate User Name fields.  Why would someone have alternate user names?  What are the use cases?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mmeadows-3
14-Alexandrite
(To:RichSPK)

Alternate User Name defines additional usernames that can login as the same Windchill user with the same password.  It is used with WindchillDS or OpenDJ LDAP servers.  I have never seen it used with Active Directory as the username is mapped explicitly to the sAMAccountName (or UserPrincipalName).  It may be possible, not sure.

I have seen it used these ways.

• Administrator and wcadmin are the same user in Windchill.  Administrator is the default Windchill site administrator specified in site.xconf (11.x and earlier).  As of 12.0, we commonly remove Administrator and keep wcadmin because Administrator in Active Directory is a special account we aren't allowed to use.
  • Sometimes users' login names change (e.g. single to married or contractor to permanent employee).
  • Companies can use it when they merge divisions and one company needs to change their login names to match the company standard (e.g. mjones changes to m.jones or mike.jones).
  • It can also be used to mimic Active Directory login credentials: mjones or mjones@ptc.com

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Not sure for a normal user.

If you look up the WCADMIN account, it is an alternate name for ADMINISTRATOR.

BenLoosli_0-1691419254226.png

RichSPK
5-Regular Member
(To:BenLoosli)

Oh, that's interesting!  I never noticed that.  So, presumably, you could log in as either Administrator or wcadmin and be logging into the same account.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

That is correct.

If you look at the header, the username shown is Administrator on both username logins.

BenLoosli_0-1691430172331.png

mmeadows-3
14-Alexandrite

Alternate User Name defines additional usernames that can login as the same Windchill user with the same password.  It is used with WindchillDS or OpenDJ LDAP servers.  I have never seen it used with Active Directory as the username is mapped explicitly to the sAMAccountName (or UserPrincipalName).  It may be possible, not sure.

I have seen it used these ways.

• Administrator and wcadmin are the same user in Windchill.  Administrator is the default Windchill site administrator specified in site.xconf (11.x and earlier).  As of 12.0, we commonly remove Administrator and keep wcadmin because Administrator in Active Directory is a special account we aren't allowed to use.
  • Sometimes users' login names change (e.g. single to married or contractor to permanent employee).
  • Companies can use it when they merge divisions and one company needs to change their login names to match the company standard (e.g. mjones changes to m.jones or mike.jones).
  • It can also be used to mimic Active Directory login credentials: mjones or mjones@ptc.com
RichSPK
5-Regular Member
(To:mmeadows-3)

That's a great answer!  Thanks!

Top Tags