cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

Anyone know good options for ProE data management?

BarrySchaeffer
1-Newbie

Anyone know good options for ProE data management?

Windchill gurus,

By now, you've probably heard that PTC has retired their Product Point data management tool.

At the present time, we are plugging along with 32-bit machines, Wildfire 3, and Intralink 3.4. As you can imagine, we would strongly prefer to be using Windows 7 x64 and Wildfire 5. We are pretty familiar with the recent history of Intralink support, including that of its Windchill versions (e.g. 9.X). We were not especially thrilled with any of this. We were hoping that Product Point would grow to become as good as Intralink 3.X.

As you might expect, we will do our best to evaluate PDMLink 10.0 as a CAD vaulting solution. We have no interest in the other PDM functions of PDMLink, because we recently spent a large amount of time and money to implement TeamCenter for that purpose.

I have periodically seen emails from other ProE users asking the same questions that I must now ask:

1. Does anyone know a CAD data manager that can handle ProE file vaulting and change management (from a solid and well-financed company)?

2. Does anyone have a year or more of actual operating experience (doing ProE file vaulting and change management) using tools from other vendors (e.g. from Solidworks, Autodesk, UGS, or others)?

If you choose to respond, I will appreciate and respect your limited time.

Thanks,

Barry Schaeffer
Fluke
Everett, WA

4 REPLIES 4

Barry,

Couldn't TeamCenter provide vaulting. If Windchill can handle non-pro files I've got to believe Teamcenter is as capable

TeamCenter is capable of handling the CAD vaulting of Wildfire files. You have the investment, expand and use it fully.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

As bitter a pill as Windchill seems to be, based on the following threads, I don't see any attractive alternatives.

Can't teamcenter manage your CAD data? Obviously Intralink or PDMLink 10 can manage it very well especially at Windchill 10. I just got finished doing a full implementation of Change Management/Data Management for a fortune 80+ company and all of their contract manufacturers/designers as well. They are only on Windchill 9.1 but love it as a company. Leveraging the Business Reporting modules to provide specific drill through manager reports in their inboxs every Monday morning or on-demand is a huge piece as well when it comes to the CM portion.

Windchill isn't fun to implement on your own but an experience consultant can greatly change that for you. I am a consultant so accept my bias. Also note that many sour implementations are a result of poor strategy/training and project management rather than the software itself.

[cid:image001.gif@01CC0A67.76CAC050]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer
Announcements

Top Tags