cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Anyone know how to control what documents are created in what Library?

lgrant
14-Alexandrite

Anyone know how to control what documents are created in what Library?

If we only want some doc types created in a particular library – how do we manage that?

For example we have a DMR Library that we only want Production type documents in and another Library that we only want Regulatory type documents in.

I can Deny the Users Group the ability to Create for that Doc Type within the Policy Admin for that Library, but is there a better way than using deny?

11 REPLIES 11
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:lgrant)

We figured out one way to do this. Pretty laborious but works perfectly.

For all subtypes that you don't want to allow in a specific Library, create an OIR that specifies a lifecycle that doesn't exist.

Note: Works also if you specify a folder that doesn't exist, but lifecycle is better because it prevalidates and doesn't present the type at all.

Mike,

What about creating a "deny" OIR at the Org level, and then an "enable" OIR at the specific context you want to have that document be active in?  I am experimenting with this at the moment and it appears to have some possibilities

20150708-141231.png.

GregoryPERASSO
14-Alexandrite

Hello

I think just granting the correct type in the particular library without deny the other types should be enough ....

lgrant
14-Alexandrite
(To:GregoryPERASSO)

Hi Gregory. If lets say I have 20 types. In one Library I would grant 15 and in the other Library grant the remaining 5.

It seems that if I don't grant or deny they are available to create if the user has "create".

GregoryPERASSO
14-Alexandrite

Strange ... do you have any grant accesrules of the WTDocument parent type on your libraries ?

Another idea. If your end users have no need to explicitly choose the library or sub folder. You can set the library (don't know if possible OOTB )and folder in the OIRs.

So Users can create Documents from any place in Windchill, they will be automaticly stored in the correct library ..

lgrant
14-Alexandrite
(To:GregoryPERASSO)

Hi Gregory - yes, I have a Members group that I granted +Read +Modify+Create etc.

I only have one Library as I am just building out the site and will add another Library with the same Group and access. My plan (so far) was to have a separate Library for my Quality Procedures that we only want a few people to have the ability to change.

If I used one library I suppose I could add a deny for my large group of Members against the sub-set of Quality doc's then add a grant to that same sub-set to a small "Quality" group...

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

General comment here...

PTC has many examples over time where many document sub types exist in a test Windchill system and all are available to users to select in all contexts for "New Document." But - I've seen pretty much every admin at least attempt to limit what sub type(s) are created in each context, removing the choice from the user.

In suggesting lots of times to PTC to allow this to be configured more easily vs. using Deny or some very non-elegant approach, the suggestion is always met with very little interest.

It seems that PTC should address this thru a simple GUI - it's a universal need for pretty much all systems.

We have most Products set up to accept most Document subtypes but then have about 25 special-purpose LIbraries, each of which only is allowed to contain one or two Document subtypes. In these Libraries the New Document wizard immediately moves past the type selection if there is only one type allowed, removing the choice from the user.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:MikeLockwood)

Mike,

I know you said that this has already been brought to our attention, but is there an idea created on the Ideas site already for this?

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:LoriSood)

@Gregory:

Gregory PERASSO wrote:

... You can set the library (don't know if possible OOTB )and folder in the OIRs....

Please, could you explain this more detailed ? How it is possible set the library in OIRs ? If this option is not possible OOTB - what we need to do ?

lgrant
14-Alexandrite
(To:IgorMeltzer)

This is in the OIR for a doc type "Minutes"

<!-- set the folder -->

<AttrValue id="folder.id" algorithm="com.ptc.core.foundation.folder.server.impl.FolderPathAttributeAlgorithm">

<Arg>/Default/Minutes</Arg>

</AttrValue>

Top Tags