cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Anyone seen these error

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Anyone seen these error

Users are getting this on search (NullPointerException). Lower search
results area displays Windchill Error and this message. If the user
refreshes, clears search or other repeated attempts, then can proceed
without error. Seems random. I sure a reboot would clear out the bug but
I would like to know the underlying cause.

Unable to process tag: GetModelTag [

var="model"

modelBean.modelCommand="EmptyModelCommand [

selector="null"

executed="false"

dynamic="false"

result="null"

nmCommandBean="null"

dataUtilityBean="null"

class="class com.ptc.core.components.command.EmptyModelCommand"

beanFactory="null"

componentDescriptor="null"

filters="

requestor="null"

]"

]

7 REPLIES 7

Hmmm... Knowledge base seems to indicate this issue is known but fixed
in 9.1 M020 which we are on. Restart Tomcat is recommended. Looks like
more SPRs fixed in M050. Ok, restart Tomcat it is.

I've been seeing this too on 9.1. It seems to happen consistently the first time we hit the library->team page after a server restart. It makes me think there's a cache somewhere that isn't getting initialized, but I'm not sure yet.

-Thomas R. Busch
Sr. Software Developer
Stryker Instruments
(269) 323-7700 x4014
tom.busch@stryker.com<">mailto:tom.busch@stryker.com>

We also see this now and then, a restart of Tomcat after clearing the
cache resolves the issue. Haven't investigated the underlying cause yet.

Best Regards

Rajesh Balasundaram

I've seen this error and in some cases it appears to be caused by an incorrect URL.

Is this happening for all users, or just some users?

EmptyModelCommand -> look to see if the OID is getting passed to the page, etc.

We experienced this issue systematically.

It occurred when displaying a table with no elements in it (ex. going to the search page for the first time, empty results table). The problem occurred systematically for italian localization.

We opened a call. TS gaveus a patch and never happened again. We are on 9.1 M020

This is most likely caused by insufficient heap space (memory) allocation for Tomcat. Regardless of how much RAM your server has, Tomcat and various Windchill java processes (ServerManager and MethodServer) have a specific max memory allocation.

For wtomcat_start, you need to increase JAVA_OPS values -XX:PermSize, -XXMaxPermSize, -Xms and -Xmx. Double them from their old values if you have enough unused system RAM (keep total used system memory below 85% of actual total RAM). I always make these values some multiple of 2, like 92, 128, 192, 256, 512 or 1024.

If Tomcat is installed as a Windows service, run regedit and go to HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tomcat\Parameters. To change them, double-click on each JVM Option Number where these 4 values appear.

Be sure to leave the "M" at the end of each numeric value, and keep the two PermSize values less than the two Xms/Xmx values. You can make PermSize = MaxPermSize and Xms = Xmx if you want.

Mark Plimley NxRev, Inc.
PLM Implementer/Trainer

Hey Tony,

We did have issues back in WC090M050 with thePTC supplied version of java. We even tried to start tomcat first and have a delay to make sure tomcat has allocated the resources when starting the process. That's now all gonewhen I've reset it to the latest supported version.

I usually use the one of the latest versions of Java. If it is Java 1.6.0_19 or 1.6.0_20, I have to install this patch 9.1-M050_TP23 if using WC091M050. for SPRS 1985832, 1974670...

I then set my tomcat heap to in the $TOMCAT_HOME/bin/wttomcat_start:

-Xms768M -Xmx3968M.

We haven't had any issues which results in restarting our servlet engine Tomcat. I talso depends on how much ram you have on your system to allocate. I usually give a minimum of 768MEG.

Top Tags