cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Applet not loading in Workgroup manager

ptc-5422086
1-Newbie

Applet not loading in Workgroup manager

Hey guys,

I've been mucking with this for a day or so now. I installed the workgroup manager for Windchill 10.1, and everything was fine. I believe this started after I installed Creo View.

Capture.JPG

It gets this far, and then stops loading. The pinwheel in the center keeps spinning, but I can't access anything further. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling all PTC products, and I deleted the entire PTC folder in Appdata/Roaming. Everything actually runs fine with regards to saving/opening files from windchill in Solidworks. (the DTI is also working fine, although my guess is that doesn't matter). It's not a huge deal, the applet still runs on chrome. I'm just the type of person that this sort of thing annoys to no end.

Any thoughts?

11 REPLIES 11

hi,

check Windows update - if you've got IE 11, that could be the cause.

cheers,

Jure.

That didn't change anything, except that now I have the worlds shittiest browser off my computer. For the record, my workspaces seem to lag between the DTI files, what Solidworks thinks is available in my workspaces, and what is on the applet when I access it with chrome...

Also, the WGM seems to think I'm operating Windows NT. While I believe that Windows 7 is a member of the NT family, I would expect to see Windows 7 listed as the OS under "Technical Support Information." I wouldn't have said anything, but I am now finding .dat.log2 , .dat.log1, and some other really unsual files in my Users/Austin folder. Maybe I'm just paranoid now.

well, IMO, IE 11 is something that is NOT to have. Some of our customers have got it within Win update, and report us that some problemes aries working with Creo 2.0 WS.

You can also try with CreoView 3.0. Avaliable at download center:

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/auth/it/esd/product.jsp?prodFamily=DVV

J.

Long story short, no change from before. I played around with my Java settings some, downloaded CreoView 3.0, and no change. I could do more research, but I actually don't have customer service access for this site, so I can't access the service releases on Java Issues and Oracles' public apologies.

By way of explanation: This is through a school account, and this is the second semester (new instructor) that anyone's been required to use Windchill. It was set up poorly a couple year ago (maybe inexpertly is a better term, but it sucks). So people have been continuing to use Drive, despite the cost of Windchill. I sort of took it upon myself to get it working, and I thought I got some inertia going. Fixed a lot of the Java issues, and got the DTI put on the school system. However, the guy who is actually in charge of is now pretty much indisposed figting with IT guys to get our school's server system upgraded from Win Server 2000 to something from this decade. The Workgroup Manager isn't compatible with the OS, and now that they've insisted we use a VM network it's even more important (for the record, don't try remote desktops with Solidworks. It's like playing xbox live on a dial-up connection.) So, I'm pre-emptively getting the Workgroup manager going on my personal system so that fewer students have to suffer from the difficulties of learning software while experiencing "Am I doing something wrong, or is this broken."

Sorry, that was verbose and overly familiar, you'll have to deal with it I guess . Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, but right now I'm kind of guessing it's an infrastructure problem that I'm not "priveleged" enough to fix.

Thanks,
AUstin

Hello Austin,

Have you tried changing the workgroup manager browser to a supported version of Firefox. It would be nice if you can explain which action/applet you are trying to access in the WGM resulting in the freeze.

Regards

~Syed

Trying to access anything related to the Windchill server refuses to load in the browser pane of the WGM. So if I click on "Windchill Cabinets" or "Workspace," I get the continuosly loading screen shown above. It will access other websites fine, and even while the loading freezes, the buttons and drop down lists on the screenshot shown above (i.e. "Quick Links", "Browse") tend to remain active but still nonfunctional. I mean active as in there is animation for the buttons, and the lists will drop down when clicked. No actual action is caused, except that the loading pinwheel indicator stops spinning. To sum up the problem more concisely, no server content loads into the WGM browser pane. I do have functionality of the "Server Management" and "Application Management" sections.

The overall Windchill App runs acceptably well from Chrome or Firfox. I'm not sure how to go about changing the browser of the WGM. If I try to add the "browser options" (or actually any customizations) to a tool bar or keyboard shortcut, it immediately changes itself back once I close the customization menu.

You can set the browser type in the wgmclient.ini file located at <wgm>\wgmclient.ini. Stop the wgm client if running. Set the value for windows.browser.type=Mozilla_based_browser. Clear the cache and start the wgm. Also, if you want to use IE check if the article CS23522 from tech support is helpful

Hope that helps.

Regards
~Syed

jhall2
6-Contributor
(To:shussaini)

Could someone tell me how to exactly add

windows_browser_type mozilla_based_browser

to fix this annoying problem? I haven't the faintest idea where wgmclient.ini might be located, or how best to access it.

I am running a new install of Creo 2.0 on Windchil 10.2 (Windows 7)

Thanks, James

James,

wgmclient.ini file it is to be used only with CAD different from Proe/Creo.

If you use ProE/Creo you need to modify only config.pro file.

Marco

We are curently using IE9 with Creo 2 and WC10.1. We found that we had to set the following in IE browser history settings for it to refresh the browser properly:

Capture.JPG

We did try moving to mozilla based browser to avoid issues when the business moved to IE10, but we saw too many issues.

All our CAD machines are now locked to IE9 with these settings.

Your answer solves the problem ie10 and ie11

Top Tags