cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Are you concerned of past published views after a rename?

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Are you concerned of past published views after a rename?

Just like the title says.  If you rename a drawing where it has the file name shown, are you concerned about the published view of the past versions?

6 REPLIES 6
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:STEVEG)

Steve Galayda wrote:

Just like the title says.  If you rename a drawing where it has the file name shown, are you concerned about the published view of the past versions?

If you set publish.republishonepmdocumentchange to true then renaming an epmdocument will republish ALL versions/iterations.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:RandyJones)

As far as I know a change is not a Rename.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

Steve Galayda wrote:

As far as I know a change is not a Rename.

From the Windchill properties page:

publish.republishonepmdocumentchange Default Value: false
Synopsis: Republish when an EPMDocuments meta data changes
Description: When metadata on an EPMDocument is changed and the EPMDocument does not iterate, eg a lifecycle state change, the associated Representations will be updated. In certain cases, eg where the CAD file on the EMPDocument has an association to that metadata, it may be desirable to Republish the Representation rather than just updating it.

Meta data changes include: rename, renumber

A lot of people go to great lengths to show the state parametrically inside drawings (which in my humble opinion is inviting disaster and is no the optimum way to approach - but a different topic) and for this reason, have to ensure that republish happens on state changes.  If you eliminate that need, then the next most important thing is to ensure that republish happens on Rename.

If you are "doing business" on published data (e.g. what you see in Creo View), then Rename can be catastrophic for the company's data if you don't ensure that viewables are in synch with the source data identification.

Seems that the available property values lend themselves well to republish on state changes, but not so easily on Rename.  Would very much like to see PTC make it straight-forward to somehow ensure that published data is refreshed after Rename.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:RandyJones)

The problem is the CAD files will publish on state changes.  Meaning when our workflows go back and forth for changes the files change states from Under Review to In Work then back to Under Review.  We don't want this.

That is why I created an idea for publishing on Rename only.

Republish on a Rename

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

It doesn't seem like anyone is concerned with this and that I am overly-concerned.

Top Tags