cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

As stored or latest configuration - which one is good to use,while add objects to wokspace in assembly & drawing level.

eparamasivam
1-Newbie

As stored or latest configuration - which one is good to use,while add objects to wokspace in assembly & drawing level.

Windchill As stored or latest configuration - which one is good to use,while adding objects(assembly & drawing) to wokspace. We are confusing with both opton.Anyone please give us suggestion? We are facing serious data management issue because of this confusion.

Thanks,

Regards,

Elangovan.

5 REPLIES 5

Hi

There is no right or wrong with relation to "as stored" or "latest" configuration, it all depends on your requirements.

You just need to understand the difference.

If we use a simple assembly with two parts as an example, and you want to download this assembly to your workspace.

When retriving the "as stored" configuration of the assembly, the system will download the iteration for the two parts that where used (current) when the assembly was last checked in.

When using the "latest" configuration, the system will download the latest iteration of each part, and not care about what part iterations where used (current) when the assembly was checked in.

I would guess that most (if not all) Windchill users here use "latest" as the default configuration, at least during the design process.

Hugo

Dear Hugo,

Thanks for your immediate reply,

The situation happened as mentioned below in our design data management.

We are about to assemble a Brake assembly in wheel end item. But when we opened the brake assembly(released one) with latest configuration, the constraints were missing(parts were miss placed). Same assembly we opened in As stored condition. It was opened properly.

"I understand that sub parts of an assembly may under go further modifications. In this case there are chances that constraints may get missed out on that assembly, if Iam correct?"

What we did is, we downloaded the brake assembly with As stored condition & down loaded the wheel end item (tried on both latest & As stored) on which the brake should get assembled. But the action was failed due to incompatible version of a part which was used commonly for both assemblies. Version of the common part which was assembled in Brake is “R1.2” & Version of the common part which was assembled in wheel end item is “A.1”. Here the problem araised. Can you please give me suggestion how we can come out of this issue.

The Windchil PDMLink version is 10.1 date code is M020.

Thanks

Regards,

Elangovan.P

Hi Elangovan.P,

As a designer, generally I would be interested to work on the the latest version of design. So will use the latest configuration.

"I understand that sub parts of an assembly may under go further modifications. In this case there are chances that constraints may get missed out on that assembly, if Iam correct?"

This might happen but if you are going to release a component that might disrupt other component's positioning in the parent assembly, I don't think that's a good idea. I would revise the parent assembly also to include the changes with proper positioning before releasing the component, so that other designers also have the latest design.

In your case, now you should work with designers to correct the design, also helping them with concepts of latest viz. as stored.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Nitin

Nitin,

Thanks for your response,

I understand your explanation,

But in case, if we don't want to have component changes on parent assembly. component changes can be used in new assembly,which is having new part number???

Regards,

Elangovan

Hi

If you do not want to propagate change in your 1st assembly. It's sounds like your component change is no inter changeable. So It is also the component that you have to save as with a new part number .

regards

Top Tags