cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Assign serial numbers and effectiveness

ptc-3977406
1-Newbie

Assign serial numbers and effectiveness

I would like to know if there is a complete manual where I can find a full explanation about how to assign serial numbers and how to manage the effectiveness. The Help from PTC is not enough, we have never dealt with it in our company.

Is there any tutorial available with examples to make?

Thanks.
Carolina

5 REPLIES 5

Hello Carolina

PTC has not really good training material about effectivity management . There's probably PTC guys how can help you on this topic. They should work on the Aerospace & Defence aera.

Effectivity management , refers more widely to "Configuration Management" . And Change Management is one of the corner stone of a good Configuration Management. May be try to find some litterature on these 2 topics.

I'm convinced that xBOMs effectivity management through Change Management is the only relieable way to corectly manage Product informations (and mainly xBOMS) accros company (and IT systems PLM->ERP)

Basically you will need to define in your product which kind of Part you want to "track" in term of composition/interchangeability (for manufacturing or repair and overhaul, etc ... ). They will be for example track by Serial Number.

For basic part that you do not want to track formely, you can use just dated effectivity

Then , you can Use the Change Management process, to set effectivities on the resulting objects in the Change Request/Notices.

That will permit you to manage the "as design" and "manufacturing as planned" views of your product . (let's says for a range of serial numbered parts) And you will be able to forward the effectivity information to your ERP for execution.

After that , you can choose to record also "as built" configuration of a particular instance of your product (for example a particular SN part during his maintenance ... )

Concepts are not necessary easy to explain. But once correctly implemented in Change management accross PLM and ERP, it has real added value .

Regards

Gregory

Hi
Can you please exaplain , whats your requirment exactly.
I will try to help you.

-- warm regards

Murali

www.prism-ind.com

http://www.prism-ind.comIndia:+91 888-00-77476

Hi Murali,

I would like to know the complete process to assign efectiveness to released parts. A complete guide or example would be very useful.
Thanks,

Carolina

Dears Gerogy and Carolina,

In my company we are implementing right now the xBOM's using Windchill to support part of this process. We are using the DS/CI (Design Solution / Configuration Item) concept to support the effectiveness process. In my previous company, I've worked with Windchill using the Option pool/set to support the effectiveness process.

Do you have the knowledge about DS/CI to give me a help pros and cons between to options (CI/DS vs Options pool/set)?

I will really appreciate to hear your experience.

Tks a lot!

Almir Alves

Carolina,

It really depends upon what your needs are.

You can apply effectivity to track serial configurations, however if you need to track specific Serialized units that falls under Product Instance capabilities.

We are working on adding to the Help content on Effectivity and you should see some updates in the M030 and more planned for the future.

In terms of the DS/CI pattern discussed above - that is part of the Windchill Aerospace and Defense module and really geared towards aircraft design.

In 2010 I gave a session covering Effectivity - its missing from the PTC/USER library - I am having it added, but am attaching to this reply

Additionally I am attaching another file showing examples of Effectivity basics & propagation

In 2012 at PTC Live I gave a session on Configuration Management that included Product Instances - it can be found on the PTC/USER site in the Library - here is a link to that - http://portal.ptcuser.org/p/do/sd/sid=2010&fid=1458&req=direct

Top Tags