cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Auto-created drw common name equale to that of part/asm

tleati
10-Marble

Auto-created drw common name equale to that of part/asm

Hello,

when in my Parametric I create a new part/assembly, thanks to a config option I also have its drawing automatically created.

The problem I have when I do the Save & Upload, is that the drawing takes its filename and number equal to those of the related part/assembly, but not the common name. So that I always have to go and rename it doing a copy paste of the common name.

For example, you can see here in this video below (also attached to the post) that the common name of the drawing (in Windchill corresponds to the field "name") is equal by default to its filename, both when I do the simple "Save", and when I do the "Save & Upload":

Video Link : 7503

How could I put it automatically equal to the common name of the part (that is "test_commonname" in this case)?

Thanks

Bye

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SergeyEfimov
13-Aquamarine
(To:tleati)

You can use the Naming parameter

9.png

10.png

Use the drawing program for mapping parameter from a model to a drawing

11.png

12.png

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
SergeyEfimov
13-Aquamarine

You can use the Naming parameter

9.png

10.png

Use the drawing program for mapping parameter from a model to a drawing

11.png

12.png

Hi Sergey,

perfect, it works, thanks!!

I realized also, to add to your solution, that the parameter (CREO_NAME) needs to be defined as a global attribute. Cause I tried also with another parameter just inserted in the Naming Parameter field and it case doesn't work.

Furthermore, on the right of my Naming Parameter field I find a the symbol of a lock...what does it stand for? (The field is still editable also with the lock).

Bye

SergeyEfimov
13-Aquamarine

Naming parameter does not to be defined as a global attribute only needs to be designated in Creo.

I need to see your file to understand that with a parameter.

yes, maybe, but it probably needs to be defined someway somewhere...I said it needs to be defined as a global parameter cause so it is reported in PTC CS54264:

CS54264 - How to use the upload naming parameter preference to have the CAD Document name be filled by the DESCRIPTION a…

Anyway, I made a screen recording (see attachments) with another parameter not defined anywhere ("naming_parameter"), where you can see that it doesn't work.

Instead, in my case it works with your method but with a parameter that is already in the system and had been set up and defined by our installer technician (but unfortunately I don't remember how and where), who had tried to implement this trick, without success.

Bye

SergeyEfimov
13-Aquamarine

You do not need to use Common Name and your parameter locked when using the relation.

SergeyEfimov
13-Aquamarine

For your drawings may be need to create drawing templates to simplify.

The fact that I am using the PTC_COMMON_NAME is due to the easiness of putting it directly in the new part window interface:

1.PNG

(the field "Common Name" is stored in PTC_COMMON_NAME).

without having to add it by opening the parameters window...It's quicker for me.

And I already have a drawing template! maybe you have been misled by the fact that in the video, in the present version of the template there is the line "NOME:D=PTC_COMMON_NAME:0", which doesn't work and have to be changed with yours (it had been written by our technician).

Anyway thanks very much...the next step is to enquire how that parameter has to be defined...(or I can use the already existing one ).

Bye

SergeyEfimov
13-Aquamarine

The parameter must be designated, I have not seen it in the last video.

13.png

Yes, I designated it in the video. Watch it at the instant 1:01.

SergeyEfimov
13-Aquamarine

For the drawing parameter

You are right...my mistake...didn't noticed it was drawing parameter. It works!

And it works also by recalling (as I need) the PTC_COMMON_NAME directly in the drw.

The only "unconvenient", as far as I went with my tests, is that you need to do a "Save", then open the drw in session, and then do the "Upload" to have the name of the drw connected to that of the part. I'll do some more research to see if there is a way to do this too.

bye

psobejko
12-Amethyst

Hi, I am wondering what config.pro setting allows you to automatically generate a drawing with the same name as the part model?

Or is this a Windchill functionality?

tleati
10-Marble
(To:psobejko)

Hi Paul,

yes, it is a Windchill functionality as far as I know. But I don't exclude you can achieve it also in the stand-alone mode. As soon as I have a bit of time I will give a try and let you know.

Bye

psobejko
12-Amethyst

tleati
10-Marble
(To:psobejko)

Yes, that solution is what I am currently using in Windchill but I didn't manage to perform it in stand-alone mode (maybe I am missing something without WC, being used to it).

(That solution is just to rename the file name of the drw as that of its part/asm, doesn't affect the common name).

bye

Top Tags