cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

BOM Import from Altium to Workgroup Manager (error about "different revision schemes")

ckhalleran
5-Regular Member

BOM Import from Altium to Workgroup Manager (error about "different revision schemes")

I'm trying to get BOM import to work, but no luck. I'm using WGM 11.0 M030 and Altium 17.1.9. 

To summarize, I get an error message "Can not keep revisions of this part and its associated CAD Document, 0000094075, to be the same. The part and CAD Document are from different revision schemes"

Below are the steps I've used, trying to get the BOM to import. Thanks for any suggestions! Chris

First off, the WGM menu pick for NEW ECAD DESIGN is not working for me. According to the PTC help doc, I should see a "NEW ECAD DESIGN" dialog box, with fields of Authoring Application, Number, Name, Description, Location, Revision. Instead, I just get a screen that looks like it might be something our IT department made with Product, Type, CAGE Code. Not sure why that is.

So instead, I have tried using the button NEW CAD DOCUMENT (on the button bar of my Workspace in WGM). So on that I see "Context, CAGE Code, Authoring Application, Category, Type, Template Name". I can pick Altium PCB, Altium Schematic, ECAD Neutral, and also picks from other ECAD tools. 

Using ECAD Neutral, I have made an "ECAD - BOM Attribute Map", then using Edit Bom Attribute Mapping, I've loaded design attributes (a CSV BOM from my schematic) and set the "Design Attribute" for Number, Name and Refdes.

Next, I've created another NEW CAD DOCUMENT choosing "Altium Schematic"... and then using "Edit BOM Definition" I've browsed for the BOM Attribute Map that I created (and hit OK).

Then, from the "Altium Schematic" CAD DOCUMENT, I picked MANAGE BOMS. For me, I have to resize the BOM Manager window slightly to get the buttons to appear. Then I click IMPORT, and browse for the CSV BOM that I exported from Altium (each designator is on it's own line). I see a BOM REPORT dialog appear, with all the parts listed in DETAILS pane. There's no parts crossed off (so all parts are present in WC). No conflict is in the VARIANT NAME section. So I click GENERATE BOM.

The BOM Manager pane opens. I check the box under BOM Name (for the design I imported)... and now I have tried this both way... either clicking the buttons to make new assy and new board, or clicking the buttons to search for assy and board... the result is the same (no BOM imported). So this time I chose to have it create new assy and PCB. The new numbers appear in the BOM Manager dialog, so I click OK.

The message box (at bottom of WGM screen) says upload succeeded, see the event management console for details. I click that link, and I see 2 "succeeded with warnings" under Status. The first one is for the assy, and it says "Can not keep revisions of this part and its associated CAD Document, 0000094075, to be the same. The part and CAD Document are from different revision schemes". The second one says "The parts have been added to workspace CHRIS".

I assume that I would want to see the BOM added to the Structure tab of the new Assembly. Not sure if I would also see something added under the CAD DOCUMENT (for the Altium Schematic, into which I imported the CSV).

I think when trying different steps, I have gotten the blank board to appear on the BOM for the assembly, but I have not gotten any of the parts from the CSV bom to appear on my assy, after doing this import.

So I'm thinking that this "different revision schemes" is my problems. We do have numeric BOM schemes for new parts (my assembly and board get created with rev "-.1" while my CAD DOCUMENT gets created with rev "A". I've tried doing "revise objects" first, to get both to rev B, wondering if that will help... but no luck.

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags