cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Benefits of Windchill 11.2 over Windchill 11.1

PRKAC
11-Garnet

Benefits of Windchill 11.2 over Windchill 11.1

Hi All,

Would like to understand the overall benefit Windchill 11.2 would bring when compared with Windchill 11.1?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AndyHermanson
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

I think what they mentioned at the PTC User meetings as that if you don't have the correct version of Windchill they will still show up as they would today, but if you are on a version that supports Multi-body, then you can expose all of the bodies in the product structure in Windchill. 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Arpit-Singh
15-Moonstone
(To:PRKAC)

Here are the Support Matrix both:

1) Windchill 11.2 - https://www.ptc.com/support/-/media/AA0720E627F045899765C208E92042C4.pdf?sc_lang=en

2) Windchill 11.1 - https://www.ptc.com/support/-/media/02563ADF5C0043FD9D6C67818BEB4A81.pdf?sc_lang=en

Here are some highlights in 11.2:

1) Support for Amazon Corretto JDK

2) Support for Cloud Storage (Amazon Blobs and AWS S3)

3) Support for Windows Server 2019

4) Windchill Rest Services 1.7

5) Improved Windchill License Management

6) Whats New Link - https://www.ptc.com/support/-/media/28861FEBF5DE42F487C8E5DB9F5250BD.pdf?sc_lang=en

Thanks Arpit Singh:)

Regards,

Praveen

BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite

I would like to add.....

• Classification changes
    • Ability to classify documents
    • Namespace functionality, which is a time saver for multiple nodes and importing those nodes
  • Ability in Save As to change attributes

I have found 11.2.1 to be a little buggy though.

Thanks for the information Brian:)

Regards...!!!

PRKAC

@BrianToussaint 

Could you elaborate a little on what you find 'buggy' in 11.2?  We are considering it.

James

BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite
(To:JHall)

@JHall , these are things that I have found and opened calls for.

• When in a CN and you try to add a CR to it not all CNs can reference all CRs
    • So an newly created CN in 11.2 cannot see a CR created in 11.0.  However the CR in 11.0 can create a CN in 11.2.
    • Also CNs created in 11.0 cannot see a CR created in 11.2.
  • I had a group that couldn't access what they used to. I had to create a duplicate group and set it up the same as the other group for ACLs, etc. Deleted the old group. The new group worked.
  • I had custom profiles so I could hide some Creo Attributes.  After the upgrade users in one of the profiles lost menu selections in different areas.
  • Rename of documents is missing from the action menu.  The only way to get there is to go to the structure tab of the document and the rename functionality is there.
  • Past deadline for tasks is no longer showing up red.
  • Our XML output through ESI was not outputting the same information as 11.0.
  • During the upgrade process I was not able to switch from Java
  • Some ProjectLink stuff

@BrianToussaint 

Thank you and eeek!  that's a lot.
James  😬

BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite
(To:JHall)

@JHall 

Yep, and I'm in production with it. 😲 I really wanted to get off of Java but it kept erring like it would not do it for an upgrade but only new installs.

The weird thing with the profile was that by turning it off and back on fixed that issue.  It was really strange.

HJ1
15-Moonstone
15-Moonstone
(To:BrianToussaint)

Hmm, I'm a bit slow as this was discussed a half a year ago...

Mentioned in the list: "Some ProjectLink stuff". Isn't there always  😄

Could you specify these findings a little?

Just one of the things that make you wonder,

I noticed already some time ago that for wtParts created in Project you couldn't use Import from Spreadsheet in Product context. Opened a ticket and the answer was works as specified... Any idea whether this is any different currently? To me, and especially to users, a wtPart is a wtPart and it should behave the same regardless where it originated, but fool me...

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Arpit-Singh)

I just noticed that 11.2 does not support multi-body (coming out in Creo Parametric 7.0), but 11.1 does (with a CPS).  See https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS321000

BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite

@TomU but is that at the Windchill level or the View Adapter level?  If it is at the adapter level, it would be in 11.2 since that is what I am using with my 11.2.1.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BrianToussaint)

I believe both.  Multi-body will still work with Windchill, but Windchill won't be able to expose the bodies inside the parts (designated parameters, etc.)

AndyHermanson
12-Amethyst

I think what they mentioned at the PTC User meetings as that if you don't have the correct version of Windchill they will still show up as they would today, but if you are on a version that supports Multi-body, then you can expose all of the bodies in the product structure in Windchill. 

Windchill support for "exposing" bodies from Creo 7 by designating these bodies will not be supported until Windchill 12.  Earlier versions of Windchill that support Creo 7 will allow you to save and check-in multi-body models, these bodies just won't be "exposed" in Windchill.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:SteveShaw)

@SteveShaw,

What exactly has been added to Windchill PDMLink 11.1 M020-CPS11 for multi body that has not been added to 11.2 (according to tech support)?  See https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS321000

SteveShaw
15-Moonstone

@TomU that article is certainly misleading (and doesn't tell you much) but is required by our process to ensure that we document all submissions into a CPS.  Since 11. 1 M020 CPS 11 will support Creo 7 we backported some capabilities in WVS for it to work when it encounters a multi-body model created in Creo 7.  This same code was submitted as part of 11.2.1.0. 

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:SteveShaw)

@SteveShaw,

Thanks for clearing that up.  When I saw that article come out I contacted tech support and asked if the same changes were added to 11.2 and they said 'no'.  Glad to hear they were wrong and 11.2 will support this!

rleir
17-Peridot
(To:Arpit-Singh)

Thanks for this overview. The biggest development for me as an admin is an improved Odata API. Oh, and a new Import/Export mode.

thanks -- Rick

ScottMorris
17-Peridot

For me, the decision to upgrade also depends on how long you plan to stay on a release.

WC11.1 is supported longer than WC11.2.

calendar.png

The other factor is ECAD WGM. Cannot move forward from 11.1 until a new solution is in place.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:ScottMorris)

My question is: Why is an older version (11.1) slated for a longer life than a newer version (11.2)?

I do understand the scenario in Creo where Creo 4 (and Creo 7) is the long term/big company version and Creo 5 & Creo 6 are short term/small company implementations. This makes sense to and is documented.

I cannot understand Windchill doing that as the interaction with Creo is very critical and thus more CPS releases will be needed by 11.1 that will not have the same functionality added to 11.2 in order to support new Creo releases.

I am struggling with a decision as to what our next upgrade should be. We use Creo 4 today with Windchill 11.0 m030. We want to get to Creo 7 and Windchill 12. BUT!  I have to do an intermediate migration to a Windchill version that supports Creo 4 & Creo 7. PTC has stated that Windchill 12.0.0 and 12.0.1 will be short lived and the long life version of Windchill 12 will be 12.0.2.0 scheduled for a Q2 2021 release.

With that said, is Windchill 11.1 or 11.2 the better upgrade choice at this time?

Top Tags