cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Bulk "Set State" on Documents

MSC12
1-Newbie

Bulk "Set State" on Documents

I have a large collection fo PDFs and I need to set them all from "In Work" to "Released" state. If they were all in the same folder this would be a simple action but since they are all in different file trees the only way I have been able to get them all together is using the search. For some reason the search function will not allow me to select more than one and "Set State." The action is just not there when I select more than one. Is there a way to do this? Why is it an allowed action to individual objects but I cant do them all at once??

I can provide screenshots and more details if needed.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:MSC12)

Could use a Promotion Request instead of Set State - assuming that the Promotion Transition from In Work to Released is defined in the LC for your PDF docs. Can process any number together on the same request. If you can them all together in Search, can select all to add to Prom Req. We've done this a bunch of times for bulk-loaded doc's.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Could use a Promotion Request instead of Set State - assuming that the Promotion Transition from In Work to Released is defined in the LC for your PDF docs. Can process any number together on the same request. If you can them all together in Search, can select all to add to Prom Req. We've done this a bunch of times for bulk-loaded doc's.

AL_ANDERSON
5-Regular Member

You can also use the ECT Resulting Object change transition in association with a lifecycle template setting the documents' lifecycle Change Transitionfrom their current in work state to a post-change Release state. This way, when you complete an ECN you can release any number of resulting document versions on its ECTs.

If you put your documents under revision control, then the ECT/ECN approach not only allows you to track the history of revision changes, but also gives you an easy way to create new revisions when a block of documents change at the same time in the future because you can 1) search from them using a ;-delimited "Number" search in Advanced Search, 2) Copy the search results to your Windchill clipboard, 3) Paste those results as Affected Objects on an ECT, and 4) use the "Revise" button on the ECT to easily make new revisions of all those documents into the Resulting Objects section of the ECT. If you have any linked parts or other objects that must revise with the documents, then there is a Collect Related Objects button on the ECT to help with that (although for Reference Documents you probably don't want to collect anything). Once you set up your new revisions, you can use your ECT/ECN process to assign the work of completing and uploading the new content, then electronically reviewing and approving the new revisions prior to releasing them all together via the change transition when the change completes.

If you just have a one-time batch release, then promotion request is good. If you have a process by which you want to control changes over time, then use the change process. If you like both approaches, you can Promote initial releases, then use changes to make revisions. For us, we tend to use Change objects to do initial releases by simply adding resulting objects with no affected objects in order to use the same workflow for new releases as for new revisions of previous releases.

Al

Just so you know, the ability to use the multi-select Set State action from the Search Results table will be available starting in 10.2 M030. This is in response to feedback in the Product Ideas forum: http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/1597#comment-13382

From an M030 test server:

setstate.PNG

Hello Chris,

I think you can use a standalone utility to execute the bulk set state. I had written the utility sometime back. It takes the Windhill Number/File Name of the objects and set their LC state to the target state as per input.

Let me know if this utlity can help you. I can provide the code. Send me an email @ -

Regards,

Mahesh KL

ChrisPLM
9-Granite

Hello

we had this issue in the past. We reassigned the life cycle template and selected the State we wanted.

As time went on we asked our VAR to develop a script simular to what Mahesha is saying.

We prepare a text file with the document number, the version the state wanted. (we can get the list of object from a search or a query builder report).

The script will then change the state of about 20 000 objects in minutes !!

The script we asked for is not limited to wtdocument but also set the state for EPMDocument and WTpart.

Caitlin,

nice to know that PTC is adding this functionality (I would say finally....) will also the inconsistency in the Set State window be removed. If you Set State a WTpart from the commonspace there is no collector. If you set state the wtpart from the workspace there is a collector.

aachanta
13-Aquamarine
(To:ChrisPLM)

HI Chris,

Can you please let me know like how did you achieve this ?

As I have also got a similar requirement of bulk promotion requests and bulk set state and I need some information about the same. So can you please let us know like how did you achieve this ?

Thanks and Regards,

Aditya

Top Tags