cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

CAD Doc Revision Procedure

Winterhaven
2-Guest

CAD Doc Revision Procedure

Good Morning

I wonder if anyone has a solution to stream line the revision process. This is for simple revisions where the customer for some reason rev's up a part but has only attribute changes. Currently, as I know it, you revision an item up. You check the item out. You then edit the attributes. Finally you check the item back in. Is there a more efficent way to accomplish this process? No changes were made with the physical characteristics of the part. Our problem is we are having to make these changes on 50 component assemblies.

Thanks in advance for your comments

Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:Winterhaven)

Hi Bob,

If the attributes are tied to the CAD Document, WTPart, or WTDocument, then they must be checked out in order to update the attributes. If the attributes are associated with CAD Document Master, WTPart Master or WTDocument Master then they do not need to be checked out. However, when you update a master attribute you change the value for all iterations of that Master.

For example, you have an attribute defined on WTPartMaster called "color", and you have the following:

Part1 A.1

Part1 A.2

Part1 A.3

Part1 B.1

Part1 B.2

If you set color="blue" for Part1 B revision then B.1 and B.2 will have color="blue". Likewise, if you set it to "yellow" for the A revision then A.1, A.2 and A.3 will have a value of "yellow."

Note: if you are working with CAD data and these attributes are tied CAD parameters then you have to define the attributes on the CAD Document and not on the CAD Document Master.

I hope that helps!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

Hi Bob,

If the attributes are tied to the CAD Document, WTPart, or WTDocument, then they must be checked out in order to update the attributes. If the attributes are associated with CAD Document Master, WTPart Master or WTDocument Master then they do not need to be checked out. However, when you update a master attribute you change the value for all iterations of that Master.

For example, you have an attribute defined on WTPartMaster called "color", and you have the following:

Part1 A.1

Part1 A.2

Part1 A.3

Part1 B.1

Part1 B.2

If you set color="blue" for Part1 B revision then B.1 and B.2 will have color="blue". Likewise, if you set it to "yellow" for the A revision then A.1, A.2 and A.3 will have a value of "yellow."

Note: if you are working with CAD data and these attributes are tied CAD parameters then you have to define the attributes on the CAD Document and not on the CAD Document Master.

I hope that helps!

Thanks for the info Lori.

Can the check out and edit be done on a multiple item basis as a check out and edit in one step? is that function only available in Windchill documents.

Thank again for your help.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

Bob,

What kind of data are you working with? WTParts? WTDocuments? CAD Documents?

Hey Lori

Actually all 3.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

You can use the Edit Multiple Objects to edit multiple WTParts and WTDocuments at a time. The edit window should allow you to modify the attributes of the selected objects.

9-22-2014+2-01-57+PM.jpg

Multiple CAD Documents can be checked out to a workspace and modified.

Hi Lori

Thanks for the info. From the info it would appear to me this type of edit does not work on CAD Documents only WTPART or WTDOCUMENTS.

Thanks again for the help

Have a great day

Bob

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

That is correct

Thanks Lori,

It's been a pleasure

Bob

Top Tags