cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

CAD Document to Wtpart active link

glen.herman1
1-Newbie

CAD Document to Wtpart active link

When checking in a CADdocument, there is a checkbox labeled "Auto Associate Parts to CAD Documents". Ifthis box is checked, the system will create what we refer to as an "Active Link" between the wtPart and the CAD document.

Does anyone know the system name of the objectcreated by this process?

Has any used info engine to create this link between an existing CAD Document and WtPart?

Thanks in advance,

Glen Herman
Sr Application Developer
Engineering And Technology
Trane Residential Systems
6200 Troup Hwy
Tyler, Texas, 75701

5 REPLIES 5

Glen,

Did you ever get any responses to this thread? We are in the process of trying to define the processes/procedures for working with Product Structures, and I've run into a problem.

I created a simple Product Structure in Product Structure Explorer (PSE) and then created the corresponding CAD assembly in ProE. I tried using Auto-Associate when I checked-in the CAD files but it kept throwing an error:

"build can not subsume link to ..."

So, I checked them in without associating them to the WTParts. Next I tried explicitly associating them from the CAD part information page. It allows me to checkout the model and WTPart and create the association. However when I try to check these in I get the same error message.

I'm having trouble finding the right reference material to address this issue, so I would appreciate any leads you might have.

We are using: PDMLink 9.0 mo60, and Wildfire 3 m230

Thank you!

Steve

Hi

the auto associate function is more generally used to create and associate
new WTParts to CAD Documents that does not have one yet.

You can also set the behavior by customizing the ?auto associate creator?
(define in wt.properties) for example to retrieve an existing WTPart by
number or other any rules

If the WTPart already exists, we generally use the ?explicit? associate
function.

And then when you check in the assy CADDoc in ProE, the ?build process?
build the WTPart BOM according to the CAD structure.

The subsume error generally occurs if you associate CADDocuments to
WTParts, which have their own structure (build in the CAD authoring tool and
in PDMlink separetly and doesn not match in term of level or quantity)

Or if in your WTPart BOM you add the same WTPart twice instead of one (I
mean 2 link with quantity 2 instead of 1 link quantity 4). In this case the
build process can?t identify which link it have to build , because in the
CAD system there?s 4 occurences, and it can not says if it is 3+1 or 2+2.
The build process can only manage one WTPart BOM link with quantity of 4.

regards

De : Steven Rector [

So, I checked them in without associating them to the WTParts. Next I tried
explicitly associating them from the CAD part information page. It allows me
to checkout the model and WTPart and create the association. However when I
try to check these in I get the same error message.

I'm having trouble find...

Steve,

No I never received any replies to this question. I am mainly involved in data migration from our MRP system to Windchill and was seeking a way to create the active link. I found a method to do this, by usingthis utility "java com.ptc.windchill.pdmlink.proimigration.server.WTPartCreator". I can't offer anyhelpwith your specific check-in problem.

Regards,

Glen Herman
Sr Application Developer
Engineering And Technology
Trane Residential Systems
6200 Troup Hwy
Tyler, Texas, 75701

This essentially comes down to what is "diving" the Part/Product Structure. It sounds like PDM (PSE) was used to build the structure initially and by using auto-associate you're trying to tell PDM to use the CAD Assembly as the driver of content. We usually run into problems with this when Bulk Items are involved. You can determine if PDM or CAD is driving the definition of the BOM (Structure) by the type of Association: Owner = CAD drives, Content = PDM/PSE drives. You can switch (at least from Owner to Content... I've not tried the other way) viaAssociate under CAD Object Actions.

(as a sidebar - wouldn't it be nice if there were a better tie between solids and "Bulk Items"? It would sure come in handy when trying to define a solid .prt (tube) made up of a length of tubing material)

Hi Glen, if you are looking to migrate from an MRP into Windchill, the LoadFromFile data loading tool can really be handy for this. Once all the parts exist in Windchill as single items, you can then go ahead and do Auto_Associates to the CAD objects to build the WTPart structure as you bring in your CAD Data.

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

[cid:image001.gif@01CB3F85.80206CC0]
Top Tags