Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAD Worker question

CAD Worker question

David,

From what I've read in the PTC documentation, every component of the CAD worker is cover with the exception of the graphics card. I can't find a single reference about graphics cards. Since we are in the process of upgrading our CAD worker, I decided to opened a call with PTC for some clarification. Here's the exact reply from the techies email:

"There is no specific document which says that you have to install a high-end graphics card in the CAD Worker.
However, it is recommended by PTC that CAD worker should have enough graphics memory so as to support smooth functioning of the CAD worker."

When I called and talked to the PTC techie, he said two things about the CAD worker, one: it should have as a minimum, the same amount of RAM as the workstations you are supporting. Example: if your best workstation has 8Gb of RAM, your CAD worker should have at least that amount if not more. Secondly: The CAD worker should have at least the same graphics card in it as the highest quality graphics card in your users workstation. Example: if the best graphics card in a workstation is an Nvidia 2000D, that's what should be in the CAD worker as well.

When I pressed him for documentation that supported his claim, he repeated what I quoted above.

With that said, I'd really be interested in where you got your information from.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards, Dave

David C. Palmer
BT/IT STG Design Tools System Admin Phone:1-919-486-0601
E-mail: dcpalm@us.ibm.com

3039 E Cornwallis Rd
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2195
United States

To: Steve Vinyard <->, Mike Bakke <mbakke@fishbowlsolutions.com>, "Williams, Patrick" <->, Brian Geary <->, Ben A Bailey <->, "-" <->
Date: 09/26/2012 05:05 PM
Subject: [solutions] - RE: CAD Worker question

One thing that is a common misconception is that the cad worker needs a nice graphics card. I use to think that, but the documentation is clear, publishing doesn’t use the graphics card. So that isn’t an issue to be concerned about. It’s all a matter of CPU speed, the amount of ram, and the speed of your network connection. Oh and hard drive speed also.

David Haigh

CAD Worker question

This document says the following:

CAD Worker question

By the way, our other division here has their workers all running as VM’s. So no graphics card at all.

Since we put together our publishing hardware a good 4 years ago, and at the time I was under the impression that we needed a graphics card, we have rack mounted dell workstations as our workers. That’s ok, because there is less overhead on our Windchill VM’s, but if I were to do it today, I’d go all VM.

David Haigh

CAD Worker question

Thanks David! U R da man!

I'm not surprise that the PTC techie wasn't aware of this, but I still find it rather odd.I also find it interesting that the worker runs on VMs as well. I don't suppose you know if there is any performance issue running the worker on a server or VM?

Best Regards, Dave

David C. Palmer
BT/IT STG Design Tools System Admin Phone:1-919-486-0601
E-mail: dcpalm@us.ibm.com

3039 E Cornwallis Rd
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2195
United States

To: "Haigh, David A." <->, David C Palmer/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Cc: Ben A Bailey <->, Brian Geary <->, Mike Bakke <mbakke@fishbowlsolutions.com>, "Williams, Patrick" <->, "-" <->, Steve Vinyard <->
Date: 09/27/2012 11:31 AM
Subject: [solutions] - RE: CAD Worker question

By the way, our other division here has their workers all running as VM’s. So no graphics card at all.

Since we put together our publishing hardware a good 4 years ago, and at the time I was under the impression that we needed a graphics card, we have rack mounted dell workstations as our workers. That’s ok, because there is less overhead on our Windchill VM’s, but if I were to do it today, I’d go all VM.

David Haigh
Announcements

Thingworx Navigate content has a new home! Click here to access the new Thingworx Navigate forum! ______________________________ Check out the Windchill Tips Board! We're talking about Whirlpool's use of digital twin, augmented reality, and data-driven design!

The NAVIGATE WORKING GROUP is here! Come innovate with PTC!