cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

CAD file locking

tpetersen
1-Newbie

CAD file locking

Currently running Windchill 10.2 (M020), I am wanting to LOCK files (individual CREO CAD) after set to RELEASED state as I want to prevent accidental or unintentional REVISINGs by users... I recall being able to easily accomplish this using Intralink 9.1 although I cannot seem to do this in WC... I have SITE/ORG administrator privileges..

4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:tpetersen)

If Windchill is setup properly, your users should not have write permission to a released file. They should be able to revise (make a new revision) only.

If you want to prevent them from revising a file, you only need to set the permissions to prevent that, no individual file locking required.

Maybe give us a better explanation of what you are trying to accomplish.

Thank you for the reply… As it is true, they do not have permissions to write to a RELEASED file, I would like to dis-allow them access to REVISE a specific RELEASED version of a file (not all) to the next level..

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:tpetersen)

I would add a new state, like ADMIN_RELEASED or LOCKED, and disallow revise to your users to any file at the new state.

This would require the sys admin to specifically set state on any files that are locked, so it could be done on a file-by-file basis. It would also  require an admin to set state back to RELEASED when the need comes to revise that part.

Test this all on a test server to be sure you have covered all permission rights before implementing it on the production server.

This certainly sounds like the way to go - thank you very much for your time Ben!!

Top Tags