cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

CATIA V5 and Work Group Manager Configuration

ptc-4699079
1-Newbie

CATIA V5 and Work Group Manager Configuration

This is regarding CATIA V5 and Work Group Manager Configuration Windchill Release: 10.1 M040 & CATIA V5

In order to configure CATIA V5 and Work Group Manager for CAD Data Management do we need CATIA API software & CATIAV5 RADE software to be installed please confirm.

Thank You

Raghu.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Raghu,

You need to compile the catia abstractions dll's for the specifica version and SP of Catia that you want to use with Windchill and replace the zero size ptc placeholder zip files.

Once they are compiled they are hosted on the Windchill Server, the users then download them automatically as part of their WWGM install to the client CAD machines. If they are not there, then the users will not be able to use Catia with the WWGM.

As Lori say's PTC are not allowed to distribute the compiled Catia code; it is a Dassault Systeme's "tax" really rather than PTC's, in my opinion, you are effectively developing a module for Catia and Dassault want to charge you for the priviledge.

Rgds

Gary

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Raghu,

To run Catia with the Windchill Workgroup Manager Integration, you need to compile dll's for each version of Catia that you want to run - these are then loaded as zip files onto the Windchill Server and are downloaded by the users when they install the WWGM

To compile the dll's you need the Catia API and RADE Software - once they are compiled you no longer need these bits if your Catia version does not change. Note: you will need them again, though, when you want to run a later version / service pack or hotfix of Catia.

Rgds

Gary

Gary:

Thanks for the reply, what is the main intention of having these components during WGM installation. Basically these are required for Development activities. Customer is not into any development other than using CATIA to create CAD objects.

WGMCATIAV5Guide says create a Abstract Library and copy the bundle files ( The Zip files) under windchill codebase directory but the bundle files ( The zip files ) are already exist under codebase as a part of WGM server side installation. In that case do I need to create again abstract library ? and also do I need the additional CATIA toolkit software’s it’s really a additional cost to customer.

And another thing is if I have 10 CATIA users do I need these softwares to be installed on each 10 users CATIA machine? that costs even more for each users licence.

Please advise me how to proceed.

Thank You,

Raghu.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:ptc-4699079)

Raghu,

Due to licensing issues PTC is unable to directly distribute the uwgm client DLLs for Catia. This is why we require the RAADE software/licenses at the customer site. You only need one machine/license per CATIA version--it is not required to be installed on each client machine. You just need to use it to generate the DLLs and you can then follow the rest of the instructions in the guide to have them distributed with the WWGM client during installation. You will notice that the files in the catiav5_bundles are 0-sized, as they are just place holders.

Regards,

Lori

Raghu,

You need to compile the catia abstractions dll's for the specifica version and SP of Catia that you want to use with Windchill and replace the zero size ptc placeholder zip files.

Once they are compiled they are hosted on the Windchill Server, the users then download them automatically as part of their WWGM install to the client CAD machines. If they are not there, then the users will not be able to use Catia with the WWGM.

As Lori say's PTC are not allowed to distribute the compiled Catia code; it is a Dassault Systeme's "tax" really rather than PTC's, in my opinion, you are effectively developing a module for Catia and Dassault want to charge you for the priviledge.

Rgds

Gary

Lori & Gary:

Thanks for the reply, which makes more sense I have also confirmed the files in the catiav5_bundles are 0-sized, as they are just place holders. Again thanks for your time and providing more insight on CATIA & WGM configuration.

Regards,

Raghu.

Hello All,

This seems to be very critical topic since most of the organizations (specifically suppliers) have multicad environment now days and many of them are using CATIA V5. In such scenario cost and challenges in getting CAA RAADE license is hurdle in adopting Windchill PLM.

What will be the consequence of the situation where a third party agency (having valid CAA RAADE and CATIA V5 licenses) offers serrvices to compile the required dlls for the required version of CATIA V5 and deploy them at the end customer's site?

Thanks and Regards,

Rupesh

aakolkar
4-Participant
(To:ptc-4699079)

Hi Raghu,

Am a PhD Student at the Purdue PLM Center of excellence. I want to install CATIA WGM for CATIAV5R20 and Windchill 10.1 M030.

Am referring to the PTC manual for this located here: http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/157413/en/WWGMCATIAV5Guide.pdf

Apart from the above please let me know you have any documentation / instructions for installing CATIA WGM.

Thanks,

Amol

Amol S. Akolkar

PhD Student-PLM Lab

Purdue COT-CGT

Top Tags