cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

CR to CN Links: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and HATE Query Builder

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

CR to CN Links: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and HATE Query Builder

Actually, its a love/hate relationship, more hate. Well, they did it to me again. Upgrade changes things (flexible changes) but leaves you in a state where objects before the upgrade return in reports but nothing after. In this case, the addressedBy link was deprecated but the data was not moved. "You moved the cemetery, but you left the bodies, didn't you?" Yep. This means any report that had joined the two only sees pairs created before the upgrade (in my case 10.2 to 11.1). The new link is ChangeProcessLink but for some reason, I had to two step it to get results to show. I was able to get this join model to work but you need to use outer joins pointing toward the change request. This will return either links from AddressedBy or ChangeProcessLink in a single report. Between you, me and the poltergeist, I am shocked it worked.

CR-CN.png

6 REPLIES 6

That's interesting in your query solution.  I haven't tried that yet.  We did the same upgrade path you mentioned and ended up:

1) Using a migrator provided by PTC to migrate the AddressedBy links to the new ChangeProcessLink.  The catch was that the process has to be completed/resolved and not in-flight.

2) To deal with the CR/CN that were still in-process we ended up having to duplicate our reports, one to return legacy results (pre-upgrade) maintaining the AddressedBy join and one for post-upgrade using the ChangeProcessLink.  I'll have to review our join model and see if your solution can help us get back to a single report.

Well, not so fast. Kudos to an astute colleague of mine. Reading CS227892 it would indicate that it might not work. Early tests did not try to display the CR data which later testing reveals as blank.  Thanks for the extra effort there PTC.  Can you send info on that migrator?

"Creating one report to display both Legacy Change Associations and Flexible Change Associations is not supported using the Query Builder UI"

Well, easy solution is to create a Union report. I know how to do those.

And another tidbit. Now that I am forced to use a Union report, you can no longer edit the report in the UI which means you cannot control the output or expose as a report. My goal was to have this retrieved by Excel as a web connection. In order to do this, output needs to be Legacy style but you cannot put in the parameters to do this. CS162869 documents the way to do it in 11.0+ with the custom input page JSP. So, here is where we need to drop to the DB table for the report template. Edit the input page column and paste in "wtcore/jsp/report/reportGenForm.jsp". Works now.

And PTC was touting how much easier query builder is in 11.0+.  Yea!

When you say "Union report" what are you referring to?  On my earlier comment about the migrator, it was the Windchill Bulk Migrator.  When reading up on it again I remembered that we actually went with the mixed mode.

Here are some CS articles on the migrator.

CS268173

CS308941

Top Tags