cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Can I use the server OS Win Server 2019 Essentials as a base for Winchill 12.0?

LW_9720778
4-Participant

Can I use the server OS Win Server 2019 Essentials as a base for Winchill 12.0?

Hi all,

We are planning to get Windchill 12.0 and there are people helping us with the installation on a new server. But we need to buy the OS system for the server and also the SQL software needed. We decided to go with Microsofts:s Server 2019 and MS SQL 2019 but those softwares comes in different packages.

Server 2019 exist as Essential, Standard and DataCenter (I think it's called). DataCenter is not for us but either Essentials or Standard is. There is quite a big price difference here and Essentials seems to be for us as it goes up to 25 users without cal:s and half the price.

Question 1: Will Windchill 12.0 accept the "Essential" version or must we use the "Standard" version of the OS system?

Also the Server SQL 2019 comes in two versions "Express" (free software) and "Standard" both works with "Essentials" acc. to Microsoft SQL software matrices.

Question 2: Will Windchill 12:0 accept the "Express" version of Server SQL 2019, the database will be limited to 10GB?

My overall feeling is that we perhaps can use "Essentials" as the OS version but it might be best to use "standard" for the SQL software, what do you think?

I need some advise here please

Best

Lars 

2 REPLIES 2
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:LW_9720778)

We should probably distinguish between "what will probably work" and what is "officially supported".

The Windchill 12.0.1.0 Software Matrices make no mention of the different Windows Server variants, they only mention the supported versions (2016 and 2019.)  Windows Server Essentials is (in my understanding) Server Standard bundled with some extra 'stuff', including licensing for 25 users.  I'm not aware of any loss of functionality between Essentials and Standard that would have any impact on Windchill functionally.  I don't think tech support will give you any grief for running Windows Server Essentials.

The matrices document does explicitly mention SQL Server Standard and Enterprise.  Since Express is not mentioned and the others are, I think you will have a harder time getting support from PTC with any database issues if you are running Express.  To be clear, many on the community already run that version for personal installs on a laptop, etc., but I wouldn't expect PTC to condone or support it, especially for a production environment.

Similar article for Integrity

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS297604

Another one for ThingWorx

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS324311

LW_9720778
4-Participant
(To:TomU)

Hi

Thanks for you reply,

We will go for Win Server 2019 Standard with addional cal's and MS SQL 2019 server standard acc to the document matrices. We are hooping for a smooth installation of Windchill without to much problems.

Best

Lars

Top Tags