cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Can one track the history of Configurable Links?

BrianPalmer
4-Participant

Can one track the history of Configurable Links?

We are using Windchill PDMLink Release 11.2 and Datecode with CPS 11.2.1.5 We will be upgrading to Windchill 12 or 13 soon.

We are starting to play around with "Configurable Links". We have successfully made several different kinds of these. One question: is around History: we have found "Configurable Revision Link History" under Customize >> History, but it doesn't really show who created the link or when they created it, nor does it show when a link is removed. Is there a way for us to see who created, modified or removed a link?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @BrianPalmer 

The Configurable links are small customization and the example just show you options how to use it. 

If you need to see history I would advice to write own table and others method to achieve what you need. 

For example, if the link is created /modified write the history information in own attribute and use this attribute in your table.

There is a small trouble with deletion . You need to create own table where you could store this information. 

PetrH 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @BrianPalmer 

The Configurable links are small customization and the example just show you options how to use it. 

If you need to see history I would advice to write own table and others method to achieve what you need. 

For example, if the link is created /modified write the history information in own attribute and use this attribute in your table.

There is a small trouble with deletion . You need to create own table where you could store this information. 

PetrH 

Hi @BrianPalmer,

I wanted to follow up with you on your post to see if your question has been answered. 
If so, please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. 
Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please let the Community know so that we can continue to help you. 

Thanks,
Anurag 

Hi Brian, 

The 'Configurable Revision Link History' table does show this information (creation/deletion, including user and time), but only for the 'Configurable Revision Link' type. This link type doesn't iterate the parent object when you add/remove a link, so the additional table is provided to allow you to track changes.

This is different from Configurable Describe Links and Configurable Reference Links (and possibly Configurable Master Links, not played with that one yet) which do iterate the parent object when you add/remove a link. If you want to see who and when links were added/removed for these link types, you'd have to implement some customization to query the database and present the information, it's not terribly straightforward though because there's no database table that explicitly says links were added/removed, I think you'd have to write something that compares different iterations to work out where the link was added/removed. 

I'd definitely recommend using the Configurable Revision Link type over the others though, as in the vast majority of cases you want to link to a revision rather than to a version, we have implemented several links now and every time a revision link fitted the bill.

Graham

BrianPalmer
4-Participant
(To:GrahamV)

Thank you Graham, this is extremely helpful!

Top Tags