cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Can't open pdf file that is stored in PDMLink

yikezawa
5-Regular Member

Can't open pdf file that is stored in PDMLink

When clicking pdf file icon that is stored in PDMLink, error message like Unexpected server response appears and the pdf file is not shown on browser. Would you please let me know what is that cause and how to resolve it? I posted a question about that to PTC support but I received the answer that it is nothing to do with PDMLink function, and it is most likely to do that it is affected by user's PC setting and eventually I was not able to resolve it.
I would appreciate your help

9 REPLIES 9

Does this happen for all PDF files or just this one?

Does it happen for all users, or just this one?

What is the status of the file vault?

yikezawa
5-Regular Member
(To:ScottMorris)

ScottMorris, Thank you for your response😊!

> Does this happen for all PDF files or just this one?
This happens for all pdf file.

>Does it happen for all users, or just this one?
I confirmed that this happened for only two users.
User1: if using Edge browser, this error occurs but in the case of using Chrome browse, this error doesn't happen.
User2: is opposite with above, Chrome is no problem, Edge is NG.

>What is the status of the file vault?
I'm not sure about concept of file vault and how to confirm it, so I can't answer the status of the file.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:yikezawa)

Edge and Chrome both use the same engine (Chromium).  Do either of these users by chance have the Adobe Acrobat Plugin installed in the browser?  We've had similar issues in the past with that plugin and disabling it eliminated the issue.

TomU_0-1649683454616.png

Edge is the default PDF application in Windows 10 these days. You should check each users system to see what their default PDF application is and as Tom mentioned, determine if they have installed the Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin which open PDF directly to Acrobat Reader instead of the browser.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ScottMorris)

Just for additional context, it's not the PDF reader that is the problem, it's the plugin.  The download URLs generated by Windchill are good for a single use.  The way the plugin works, it calls the same URL twice - once during the initial page load and then a second time when the URL is passed to the reader.  It's the second call that fails.  If the plugin isn't used, everything works fine.

Again, not saying this specific issue is exactly the same, but it's similar enough that it's worth at least checking.

yikezawa
5-Regular Member
(To:TomU)

Hi Tom and Scott,
Thank you for your giving me information, I will try to check browser setting from Acrobat Plugin standpoint.
BjoernRueegg
17-Peridot
(To:TomU)

That's true. I'm not sure if that is a safety feature, but some of the "downloads" works just once.

yikezawa
5-Regular Member

Hi Tom and Scott,
Thank you for your giving me information, I will try to check browser setting from Acrobat Plugin standpoint.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

And just for testing purposes, try it in Internet Explorer.  IE is not supported for 12.0 and up but it will still work for the most part.

Top Tags