cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Change Management - Character Number Limit

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Change Management - Character Number Limit

When we started with Change Management in PDMLink I thought we were told that there is a character number limit for ECN Number.  Something like maybe 11 characters.  I remember this because I remember talking with our consultant about if we add the letters "ECN" in the number as the prefix.  The response was the more characters you use as a prefix means the less number of total characters you can use for the automated number part.

As an example we have the text "ECN" in the number and if the total number of allowed characters 11 then we have 8 digits to use for that actual real number part of it.

ECN12345678

But if we used 4 prefix characters, something like PECN (for Prototype ECN) then we have only 7 characters left to use.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
d_graham
17-Peridot
(To:STEVEG)

@STEVEG ,

OOTB the limit for the number of characters for a Change Notice number is 32.

If you check in the dB where the number is stored it's clear that 32 is the limit.

In the image below the you can see four Change Notices.

The first two where created using OOTB OIR

The third was created with OIR sequence generator set to 32

The fourth was created with OIR sequence generator set to 29 as it included a three character prefix, ECN.

If you experiment with the OIR and set the prefix and/or the sequence generator such that the number's length would be greater than 32 an error window will appear when you try to create the Change Notice.

d_graham_1-1642773431789.png

Does this answer you concern?

David

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi Steve,
the number of characters for an ECN is 12 (see attached image).
However, I wonder why you want to use part of these characters to describe the object (ECN) and the status, which are two information already available in the system.

Marco_Tosin_0-1642750981374.png

Marco

There are a few reasons.  One is so it is easy to identify in Tasks and emails what it is.  Is it an ECR, an ECN or a Task.  That way our users get a better sense of what is needed to be reviewed first.

d_graham
17-Peridot

@STEVEG ,

OOTB the limit for the number of characters for a Change Notice number is 32.

If you check in the dB where the number is stored it's clear that 32 is the limit.

In the image below the you can see four Change Notices.

The first two where created using OOTB OIR

The third was created with OIR sequence generator set to 32

The fourth was created with OIR sequence generator set to 29 as it included a three character prefix, ECN.

If you experiment with the OIR and set the prefix and/or the sequence generator such that the number's length would be greater than 32 an error window will appear when you try to create the Change Notice.

d_graham_1-1642773431789.png

Does this answer you concern?

David

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:d_graham)

Is 32 the limit for a Task as well?

d_graham
17-Peridot

@STEVEG  Steve, yes.  32 is the limit for Tasks as well.

David

Top Tags