cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Change Request Templates?

kpritchard
4-Participant

Change Request Templates?

Has anyone been able to create Change Request Templates? The Template group (Org > Templates) is "Change Objects" which hints at the capability being available for all Change objects, but when I try it out I only get the option to create a Change Notice Template.

Ultimately what I'm trying to do is have an empty form as an Attachment for each Change Request that gets created. It seems a shame to store the form outside of Windchill, but I don't want to make it a persisted (Primary Content of a WTDocument) Object as that is a bit overkill for the use case.

12 REPLIES 12
rhermann
4-Participant
(To:kpritchard)

I too am trying to make this work.  There are some forms that my customer needs to fill out and would like to be always associated with the Change Request by default (blank).  Can't seem to figure out how to get the template option for the Change Request either.  Have you been able to figure this out?

I am on Windchill 10.2 M020

kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:rhermann)

Not as envisioned, but what I was able to programmatically add an attachment which would be the same net effect. 

Why not just have the New Change Request wizard have the selection boxes/radio buttons in it?

If you use this method, the entered data is found on the Details page of the Change Request.

kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:DonSenchuk)

For my use case I was capturing the Proposed Solution when the CR is initially submitted, allowing the Proposed Solution to evolve and be interpreted as the Approved Solution when the CR reaches a given (equivalent to Approved) State.

Also - I'm not overly enamored with the "Undefined" option that shows up for a Boolean rendered as radio buttons even if default is set (If I've missed something and there is a way for only Yes or No to appear ​please​ let me know)  

There is definitely a way to get 'Undefined' not to show up. I'm still in the implementation phase for CRs but none of my radio button have it. Unfortunately I don't remember off hand what method I used to get rid of 'Undefined'.

tgudobba
14-Alexandrite

Under the layout, right click the attribute & select "Edit Group Attribute Properties".

Then change "Include Blank Option" to no.

This will remove the "Undefined" option for that attribute in that layout.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:tgudobba)

The default for Include Blank Option is Yes (blank field), which will display the Undecided button.

What was PTC thinking when they buried it down under the layout? It is an attribute option, it should show up on the right of the screen when you edit the attribute information.

I am on 10.0m040 and when I get the Edit Group Attribute Property window open and press the ? for the help, it comes up with the main Windchill help introduction screen. If I search for Edit Group Attribute, I can eventually find the information about the fields.

Which manual is this information covered in? I searched the Specialized Admin guide and the Customization guide and found no hits.

"Which manual is this in?" Thanks for the laugh!

kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:tgudobba)

Nice!  Thanks to Tim Gudobba‌, Don Senchuk‌ and Ben Loosli‌ for the collective info on this.  I should have known that there was a solution despite it not jumping out and biting me on the nose.

rhermann
4-Participant

It was getting too messy doing it that way. They already have about 50 attributes they have to manually fill in on the CR.  It makes more sense for a lot of this stuff to just live in smart forms for them that they can update frequently (without windchill knowledge) and that they can have people without access to windchill fill out.  Kind of crazy that you can’t make a template for the CR from the UI…  I have a case open with PTC, they are looking into if you might be able to create a template using a load from file (bypassing the UI restrictions).

-Ryan

If I'm understanding this right, you want two methods of input.

First, the 50 attributes manually filled in on the CR at time of creation and done by WC users. This may or may not be living information, editable at any time during the process. (Though I would shy away from having this be editable and instead just be static once the CR is submitted for consideration.)

Second, the living document that can change throughout the process and be done outside of Windchill, yet affect the CR/be accessible within the CR. Seems like that "outside Windchill" bit is going to be your big hurdle. I mean, some software will have to communicate with WC so the users will have to learn that GUI instead. I would guess you're looking for something kind of very simple interface for this, right?

Interesting idea. Please be sure to update the thread if you get a positive answer from tech support.

Top Tags