cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Changing username and Workspace Cache

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

Changing username and Workspace Cache

So, my company is changing usernames...again. I looking to mirror those activities for PDMLink so that they not have to remember two ids. I know how to mass change the LDAP and DB to implement this change. My question is the workspace cache. I've seen cases if you login into Windchill and the local workspace cache was for a different Windchill users, it would complain. I am trying to avoid this AND not have users have to blow away their cache again. Is it possible to alter the username in the cache so it can continue working normally? Does anyone know where this is stored? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jlecoz
13-Aquamarine
(To:avillanueva)

Altering the cache is at your own risk.  

The user ID is an information that is pushed to the CAD through attributes (for example PTC_MODIFIED_BY in Creo Param), such information is also published in the viewables.

So you can introduce data integrity issues on your legacy data.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jlecoz
13-Aquamarine
(To:avillanueva)

Altering the cache is at your own risk.  

The user ID is an information that is pushed to the CAD through attributes (for example PTC_MODIFIED_BY in Creo Param), such information is also published in the viewables.

So you can introduce data integrity issues on your legacy data.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:jlecoz)

Shot in the dark. Based on early investigations, username might not be stored in a single location. 

Hello @avillanueva , yes you are right, user name gets stored in multiple files at multiple locations. I am not sure if even if you find a way to change it from all locations, will it work or not.  In addition to that if your environment is SSO enabled then these changes need to be implemented on browser layer also. 
Instead, you can create batch files to create a backup of the existing cache and then delete the Creo cache for the first and last time after the changes are implemented. 

Thanks,
Hemant

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:jlecoz)

Thanks @Ajit_Kulkarni  and @HelesicPetr for replies. Giving creds to @jlecoz who messaged my privately. It seems like there are many places where a Windchill user would be stored. Modified by, well, nothing I can do about that. I will have to have the user recreate their local workspace (they hate doing this). It is what it is and its the cleanest method. I have done this previously when we were divested so I know changing user ids (LDAP and database) will work and we can function. At that time, we also recreated workspace cache since we were also switching networks (lift and shift). Thanks for your time on this.

I would strongly suggest users to check-in everything and clear their cache before you go for user id changes. 

It is best practice to clear the cache regularly. 

If you want to keep the cache folder intact , you can try one thing. Good chance that it will work.

Cache location is set by this logic <Cache_Location>\<user_id>. After your user id change , you can rename the folder to <cache_location>\<new user id>

Please let us know if it works. 🙂 

We have a startup script that changes all that. I am not referring to the windows user id. I was asking about the Windchill user id. Say I log into windows with jsmith but my Windchill user id is john.smith123, the cache folder does not put that name in the path but jsmith and that part is not change. Now I would like Windchill to change to be jsmith and the local workspace not to complain. This would be similar to being logged into Windows as jsmith but logging into Windchill via Creo as jane.doe. The cache would complain after it logged in (I think). 

Hi @avillanueva 

If the information is stored in the cache then I tied to search.

It also depends on Creo version because sometimes information about registered server was stored in different place 

I've found that user id is in following files>

.cache2008\servedAddress\workspaceName\ws.cache

.cache2008\servedAddress\server.cache

.cache2008\servedAddress\workspaceName\frames\ws.cache.frame

and also I found an another place with chrome cache I guess

files f_000xxx example zbcef_profile\cache\f_00049c  it was placed in the creo cache folder in my case

this files are html pages that are stored locally but I don't know their purpose

all changes are on your own risk as you definitely know 😄 

PetrH

Top Tags