cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Cloning a Windchill v9.0 Virtual Machine

Butleigh
1-Newbie

Cloning a Windchill v9.0 Virtual Machine

We have a problem with our Production Windchill installation which I am unable to replicate on our Test Installation.  Windchill is currently installed on a Windows 2003 Virtual Machine and the Oracle database on a separate server.  Does anyone know or has anybody successfully managed to take a copy of  a Winchill Virtual Machine, change the Host Name, IP Address, etc and get Winchill up and running?  I would change any references in all the Windchill files to use the new Host name and new database also.  This would hopefully then give me an installation which I can replicate the initial problem on.   Do you think this is possible?

3 REPLIES 3
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Butleigh)

Yes, this is completely possibly.  See the PTC Windchill Rehosting Utility Guide.  You will need to manually change the Windchill property for the Oracle database name then run the "Rename" scenario.  It's should be very straightforward.  The hardest part is probably duplicating the VMs, changing their names, and rejoining them to the domain.  I'd recommend that you add an entry to your hosts (networking) file on the copied Windchill VM to prevent it from accessing your production Oracle DB.  It will help keep you out of trouble. 

ChrisSpartz
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

Stuart,

Were you able to successfully clone your system, using the information provided by Tom? Let us know if you still have any questions about cloning/rehosting.

bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:Butleigh)

Just out of curiosity, what is the problem you are experiencing on your Production system?

Top Tags