cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Cognos 8 isn't copying a Windchill BOM report properly

doehr
1-Newbie

Cognos 8 isn't copying a Windchill BOM report properly

Hello PTC gurus,

In an effort to make an enhanced BOM report in our PDM10 M040 system I have tried to make a copy of the existing Multi-level BOM report that is normally run through a part Structure page but am having trouble doing so. This report does function and has relatively good information to start with and OOTB cannot, in fact, be run from a regular Report page; it spits out an error message saying "Run this from a part's Structure view". It is a Cognos-based report. To avoid mucking up this functioning report I tried, through Cognos8, to do the Copy function that shows up on a report when you click the More button on its entry line when looking at the report folders in Windchill. And every time I try this I've found that the copy is imperfect; several of the files that you see in the ZIP file of a report exported from Windchill are different between the original and the fresh copy, and usually the fresh copy doesn't even function.

For example, a first-layer file in the exported ZIP is one called TAG-LocationDescriptor-0.xml and it contains several reference links for the report. In the copy, several of the lines are missing.

What am I doing wrong? Is there some extra special setting in the Cognos Copy function that I have to trigger to make it properly duplicate the original report and not miss this stuff?

Please advise,

Daryl

2 REPLIES 2
BineshKumar1
12-Amethyst
(To:doehr)

One option is you can try is - Rename the out of the box multi level BOM report to say Multi-Level BOM Report - Copy and rename your new report to Multi-Level BOM Report. Then run the report from the structure tab. If you run the report independently it expects you to have a bunch of parameters like part oid, locale, hostname, sessionid  and so on.

If you want this report to be run from say actions tab, you will have create a couple of redirection JSPs to capture this parameters and pass it on to Cognos.

Regards

Binesh Kumar

Medtronic - MITG

That's kind of the key point. Exporting the original report from Windchill into a ZIP file, two key files in the zip package do have extra information including JSP references. The COGNOS-copied one doesn't have the references in those two key files. I can directly manipulate the faulty files within the zip package with 7-Zip, or I can export the original, rename the original in Windchill to something else then re-import the original (its eventual name is in the Zip file itself) to get a fully functioning copy, and I successfully did the first option in this case, but that seems really convoluted. Shouldn't the Cognos copy function actually...you know...copy it? Properly? Without missing bits? Is there some setting somewhere during the Copy function that I'm not filling in as I do it?

Daryl

Top Tags