cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Cognos to Jasper migration

rleir
17-Peridot

Cognos to Jasper migration

Hi all,

Will there be help in WC 12 for people upgrading from WC 11 with many Cognos reports, to help them migrate the reports to Jasper?

thanks -- Rick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JeffZemsky
17-Peridot
(To:rleir)

Some background information for the thread

1. Customers who have Windchill Business Report Author (Cognos) will be able to continue to use Cognos and their custom reports through the Windchill 12.0.2 release stream
    1. Cognos will not be shipped or available for Windchill 12.1.0.0 and beyond
  2. Customers should plan to transition any custom reports to JasperReports Library during the Windchill 12.0.2 timeframe.
    1. Information on creating custom reports with JasperReports Library can be found in Help:  Jasper Report Customization in Windchill
  3. There are no tools or frameworks to convert a report from one BI framework to another.  Any custom reports will have to be recreated.  Data sources such as Query Builder and Info*Engine can be reused in creating reports with JasperReports Library
  4. There is a an FAQ that can be found on the Support site here:  FAQ: Cognos to Jasper Reports

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
acoash1
5-Regular Member

I also have this question!

rleir
17-Peridot
(To:acoash1)

And more generally, how long can we continue to use the old Cognos reports? Someone said that they would continue to run until 12.01 but you should consider that hearsay. And that the out-of-the-box Cognos reports would be converted to Jasper by PTC? But if, further to that, you wrote more Cognos reports you might need to acquire a Cognos license from IBM? There are several questions above, please help!

cheers -- Rick

nmelyani
12-Amethyst

Hello Rick, 

Not sure of you got the answer to your request, just found it. to answer your questions: 

• PTC will provide the OOTB Cognos Report with Jasper
  • Customers will need to migrate their custom reports themselves  as this is third party to third party migration, there are few hints online (convert the cognos reports into xml's for easy reading through the SQL and then create new jrxmls)
  • Cognos will be supported with Windchill versions and will be discontinued starting 12.1.0.0
  • until 12.1 the normal use of Cognos is still in place. 

I hope this helps

Nisrine 

Hello,

I would like to see a help topics describe the migration steps from cognos to Jasper.

In our cases there are many customers used their custom cognos reports and it takes long time to learn how to migrate all reports.

Some customers have cognos reports which were time consuming to create . 

What about history of saved reports ?

In my opinion this topic is not so easy like some could think.

Best regards

PetrH

rleir
17-Peridot
(To:nmelyani)

Hi Nisrine and Petr

There is also the small issue of Oracle versions. Careful, if you upgrade Oracle to the latest version compatible with WindChill then your Cognos reports will all fail. There is a previous revision of Oracle which is a 'sweet spot': upgraded enough but not to the latest. Sorry to be vague, but it's n.m.3 .. you will have to look it up.

As for Jasper, there is some documentation in the PTC help pages. For Jaspersoft Studio, PTC directs you to the TIBCO community documentation. The Jasper server from the open source project seems have been integrated by PTC into the Windchill server but we don't have much documentation on that.

• What version?
  • Is the Jasper REST API exposed?
  • Is there an easy way to upload the template you created in Jaspersoft Studio? Yes, you can scp the template into the WC server and run a server-side command to import it, but I am hoping for a more convenient way.

cheers -- Rick

JoePaul
3-Visitor

Do we know which version of Jasper was integrated into Windchill and whether or not Jasper REST API (described here) is exposed?

@JoePaul argh - I see it is missing from the 3rd party list.  We will get that fixed - I'll get the info posted here.  We added support to use Odata from WC with Jasper with WC 12.0.2

@JeffZemsky Where can I find the info on how to access the Jasper REST APIs? 

@JoePaul it looks like you are referencing JasperReports Server.  The Capability in Windchill is built on JasperReports Library

You can find information on working with WRS API here:

Authoring Jasper Report using Windchill REST Services

JeffZemsky
17-Peridot

Some background information for the thread

1. Customers who have Windchill Business Report Author (Cognos) will be able to continue to use Cognos and their custom reports through the Windchill 12.0.2 release stream
    1. Cognos will not be shipped or available for Windchill 12.1.0.0 and beyond
  2. Customers should plan to transition any custom reports to JasperReports Library during the Windchill 12.0.2 timeframe.
    1. Information on creating custom reports with JasperReports Library can be found in Help:  Jasper Report Customization in Windchill
  3. There are no tools or frameworks to convert a report from one BI framework to another.  Any custom reports will have to be recreated.  Data sources such as Query Builder and Info*Engine can be reused in creating reports with JasperReports Library
  4. There is a an FAQ that can be found on the Support site here:  FAQ: Cognos to Jasper Reports
rleir
17-Peridot
(To:JeffZemsky)

Hi Jeff

Thanks for that info. 

In point 4, the FAQ that you link to gives me :

"Note: This article 352015 is not customer visible."

Rick

JeffZemsky
17-Peridot

@rleir The article should be available today if it is not already.  Sorry for the confusion.

rleir
17-Peridot

Jeff

In point 3, you say

"Data sources such as [...]  Info*Engine can be reused in creating reports with JasperReports Library"

Is there a simple example of how to use Info*Engine? I don't find the help pages on this useful:

http://support.ptc.com/help/windchill/wc111_hc/whc_en/index.html#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FWC_ArchOview_ManageExecutionIETasks_UsingTheWindchillAdapterToExecuteTasks.html%23

thanks

Rick

JeffZemsky
17-Peridot

@rleir  - it might be the same data sources as one currently uses in a Cognos.  If you are not currently using Info*engine sources in your custom reports I am not sure that I would add ones now - I'd look at Query Builder and/or WRS as options first.

rleir
17-Peridot

Hi Jeff

This other article is also not accessible, that makes two articles.

This article 354393 is not customer visible.

thanks -- Rick

JeffZemsky
17-Peridot

Sorry for the delay - it was made available today

FAQ:  Cognos to Jasper Reports

I can check on the other as I am not familiar with it.

Top Tags