cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Commonspace Folder Best Practices and Recommendations

colmacpro
1-Newbie

Commonspace Folder Best Practices and Recommendations

We are looking at migrating to Wintralink 9.1+ from Pro/INTRALINK 3.4., and we are questioning how we have our commonspace folders set-up. Reorganize before we leap.

We would like to simplify the structure and flatten it a little bit. Also make it easier to assign folders maybe even in an automated way based off of part number. None of the users care where the files go just as long as they can retrieve them.

The library side of things would be set-up in a traditional manner (browse able friendly).

I am thinking

In a standard file system you could easily have one top level Folder with 10,000 subfolders one level deep containing more than a million files. All based on the first fourcharaters in a part number. The directories would not be accessed directly but though a web style interface, utilizing a database.

And

Our Pro/I SYSPOOL Vault Directory has 100+ thousand files in it, kind of the same idea.

I have a couple of questions:

Does it really matter how many objects you have in a commonspace folder if you always use Pro/Locate or Windchill Search to find and retrieve components?

Is there a maximum number of folders that you can have in a folder?

All other input welcomed

Joe

1 REPLY 1

A few recommendations below. We migrated from Intralink 3.4 to Windchill PDMLink 8.0 Feb 07.
Top Tags