Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion of AutoCAD drawing to PDF in Windchill

Re: Conversion of AutoCAD drawing to PDF in Windchill

Hi Bhagirath,

No. Not yet. We kept it on hold since we are moving to Windchill 11 soon.

Regards,

Dinil

Hi Dinil,

Are you planning  to use Windchill WVS generic framework or have you developed any Customization to integrate with Windchill?

If you have any idea on how to deploy the WVS generic framework, if possible please let me know the procedure.

Thanks,

Bhagirath

Hi Bhagirath,

The plan was 2 fold. One to find the correct application that would handle the conversion of AutoCAD files to pdf and secondly to configure a worker as per the article CS32402.

We started investigating on the correct application to be used and came across veryPDF as a probable candidate. But it had a disadvantage of not being able to convert drawings with multiple sheets and drawings that had only text information in it.

So we decided on using "Any DWG to PDF Converter Pro" for this.

We never moved to the second step of setting up a worker as per the article as we left the project midway due to difference constrains. So I am afraid I wont be able to answer your question.

Thanks,

Dinil

Hi Dinil,

Not sure why you have found so much difficulties or decided not to go for a Workers. Have you looked at PSW from Etrage ?

I have selected this solution back in 2009 for the company I worked with at the time and they are still using it (I left there in 2014)

It converted not only autocad files into PDF but also Creo, Solidworks, MS Office etc... and you can configure it to work as a fully automated Worker running in the background.

For us, everytime the life cycle changed to certain statuses, PSW created or even deleted the pdf which were stored outside of PDMLink (with possibility to attached to the PDM Object the pdf created).

When used as I did, you only need a licence and cost is very effective (of course if it is to create 10 pdf a month, that would be expensive )

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the information. Never thought of this software. I think when we are ready to start the project this is good candidate to look at.

When we presented the AUTOCAD publishing to our business, they were not so keen in getting it implemented at that time and asked us to push this project for a later time.

So probably when we move to Windchill 11 we will have this implemented.

Regards,

Dinil