cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Copy objects from PDMLink and Paste into ProjectLink

chansen
1-Newbie

Copy objects from PDMLink and Paste into ProjectLink

I want to explore change solutions in ProjectLink for the increased collaboration tools as part of our change process. However, I've not found a viable solution for copying the PDMLink objects into a Project for editing. The copy/paste option creates shared objects where all updates are shown in PDMLink. Save As and Move functions do not allow the objects to be transferred to ProjectLink. Is there a method for creating a copy of PDMLink objects in ProjectLink for editing? Is there another method for developing proposed solutions to changes before revising the objects as part of the ECN process?

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well there is sharing to a Project.   And then there is checking out to a project.  Maybe that is what you are looking for?

I think you're right, a share is just visible in the project and you really can't do much with it.   However, if you convert it from a share to a project check out, then the project becomes the owner of any changes that are made to the object.  PDMLink will not see any modifications until a "Send to PDM" command is performed on the project checked out object(s).

There is a full audit trail built into that project check out process as well.  At least good enough for us anyway, depending on the regulations in your industry it may or may not be good enough...

Note that this project check out is completely different from checking something out in a workspace with Creo.  I really wish there was a different term for it, because it can be quite confusing....

20150601-081606.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Christopher,

Did you get this solved? I have the same issue. We would like to copy the PDMLink objects to the project and sever the sharing. The items (in our case WTParts) essentially become copies in the project only, with the revision and version at the time of copy. This tells a=us that at the time they were used in the project that was the version and revision that was current. This gives us a full audit trail should it be required. Meanwhile, parts and docuemnts can be revised for upcoming projects and used as required.

I cannot find a solution, other than to duplicate all required parts at the time of "sharing" and then ensure the duplicates are not modified. Not a practical solution.

If you have made any progress on this I would love to know.

Regards

Ben

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:chansen)

Chris, the Share to Project option should let you change the objects in the project independent of the objects in PDM. You can accomplish this with Copy/Paste or Send to Project, both will create shared objects. What's missing for me is what you are sharing, how its being modified in the project and how these changes are appearing in PDM? Modification to shared objects in a project are not propagated back to PDM until the items are returned to PDM using the Send to PDM action.

chansen
1-Newbie
(To:sm)

Scott, it was my understanding that shared objects were still maintained in PDM and were only made visible in the Project. Shared objects were still subjected to the configuration management rules defined in PDM and were maintained on the Lifecycle defined in PDM. If my understanding of shared objects is flawed, please educate me.

I want to be able to explore options for improving or modifying an existing, released design as part of the PDM change process without affecting the baseline data set. I could possibly be modifying Creo models, Part structures, and associated documentation.

Well there is sharing to a Project.   And then there is checking out to a project.  Maybe that is what you are looking for?

I think you're right, a share is just visible in the project and you really can't do much with it.   However, if you convert it from a share to a project check out, then the project becomes the owner of any changes that are made to the object.  PDMLink will not see any modifications until a "Send to PDM" command is performed on the project checked out object(s).

There is a full audit trail built into that project check out process as well.  At least good enough for us anyway, depending on the regulations in your industry it may or may not be good enough...

Note that this project check out is completely different from checking something out in a workspace with Creo.  I really wish there was a different term for it, because it can be quite confusing....

20150601-081606.png

Marc and Scott,

Thanks for the info on how to achieve this. As I understand it, if you share out a PDM object (say a part) to a project you can still modify the part in PDM and this will reflect in the project (assuming the part is in working status). If you check it out to the project by using the "Convert to PDM Checkout" option, then any modifications are recorded against the project and have to be performed in the project using ProjectLink. So your audit trail is against the project, rather than against the part in PDM. However, whilst the object is checked out to the project you cannot modify it in PDM, which makes sense. So the only difference I see with this way of managing things is that the audit trail is against the project. Are there any other benefits I am missing?

I must admit I had never tried this. Our desire is to really have a copy of the part in the project that is severed from the library. I don't know how to achieve this other than making a whole new part that is a copy of the original part and giving it a new number so that is treated completely separately. But I could use this "Convert to PDM Checkout" method on the new part, to ensure all changes are recorded via the project rather than by PDM.

So thanks. It is somewhat better than what I was previously doing.

Regards

Ben

Top Tags