cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Create a Custom Wizard in Windchill?

ChrisPeters
1-Newbie

Create a Custom Wizard in Windchill?

Hi,

I'm trying to learn UI customization and trying to create a custom Action as well as a Wizard. I found a TPI 150612 which talks about creation of a New Tab, however it's not much of a use. Have any one tried that? Please share on how to do that.

I'm presently working on Windchill 10 and have a basic understanding of JCA architecture and actions.xml, actionmodels.xml and RBInfo rendering.

Please provide an example on how to add an action which subsequently triggers a wizard and how to create a custom wizard for an OOTB functionality.

Windchill Customizer guide is not much of a help here.

Thanks,

Chris

6 REPLIES 6

Have you looked at the "Constructing Wizards" and "Adding Actions and Hooking Them UP in the UI" chapters?

The most recent version of the guide is located here: http://www.ptc.com/view?im_dbkey=135892

I've also looked at the guide..and it's not very clear on "how to do it" part. Any example or a clear documentation would be appreciated.

Hi David,

Any headsup on "A walkthrough" approach? I'm sure there're lot many users who intend to learn it but fail to understand PTC Customizer's Guide.

Thanks,

Chris

There are a number of customization examples within Windchill itself including examples of Wizards. They are located in the Component Catalog. However, this area isn't enabled in the Windchill UI by default.

Here are the instructions to enable the customization examples.

---------

Enable Customization Utilities

There are a number of customization utilities included within the Windchill user interface. They are not enabled by default.

To enable the customization utilities:

1. From the Navigator browse to Site Utilities Preference Management
  2. Navigate the tree to Client Customization and expand the entry.
  3. Right click on Client Customization, select Set Preference, and set the value to “Yes”.
  4. Refresh your browser.
  5. From the Navigator browse to Site and select the Customization icon (Image).

---------

From there you have a number of resources available to you, the Compoent Catalog is one of them.

Note: The direct URL to the Component Catalog is: <server>/<webapp>/app/#ptc1/componentCatalog/componentCatalog

I hope this helps.

David

Refer Chapter-17 : Constructing Wizards from Windchill_Customization_Guide for more reference

Hi @ChrisPeters,

Steps to create new custom wizard are little different everytime depending on where on the Windchill UI you want to create the wizard.

First of all you have to identify which OOTB action model the current UI is using. Then you have to copy this action model from respective actions.xml to custom-actions.xml and then add you own action.

There are couple of KB article available in PTC Support knowledgebase which can give you an excellent walkthrought on how to do that. I am sharing some of article URLs for your reference.

I hope they help you in understadning & creating custom wizard.

Regards,

Shirish

Top Tags