cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Creating a FreeCAD CadWorker

Jee-Bee_CS
11-Garnet

Creating a FreeCAD CadWorker

I follow FreeCAD, an Open Source CAD tool for some years now.

I also have a Virtual machine with Windchill that i use for local test purposes.

I thought would it be possible to (as nerd project) add FreeCAD as a CADworker.

The FreeCAD files are basically zipfiles with some(https://wiki.freecad.org/File_Format_FCStd 😞

• xml files with properties
  • brep files with shapes
  • svg files for drawings
  • Custom objects (for example .pdf files)

Has anybody tried this / thought about this?

If yes what is required to get this done?

If no what are the hick ups that it is not possible?

3 REPLIES 3

For something we regard as a Windchill "CADworker" , at least, should be able to convert the input CAD format (no matter which) into the output as a "Creo View" compatible format, which means, at least a .pvs data is a necessary to be generated by that cadworker.

However, FreeCAD probably is not able to do such converting --- without a published representation that could be opened by Creo View, what is purpose to implement it as worker then?     

@Joe_Sun wrote:

However, FreeCAD probably is not able to do such converting --- without a published representation that could be opened by Creo View, what is purpose to implement it as worker then?     

To me it looks like a fun project to experiment with. But if it is not possible / difficult to implement. I don't try it for now. I checked only if i can find any information about Creo View published representations but as far as i can see there is no (open )standard for.

well, with somewhat moderate effort we could at least get a pdf representation and a thumbnail 😉

Top Tags