cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Creo objects fail to check into Windchill - need to fix it

bjackson
1-Newbie

Creo objects fail to check into Windchill - need to fix it

When checking in Creo objects that are related to parts and assemblies in family tables, the check in will fail. This requires opening the Event Manager screen, then opening the information screen to see the results of the failure.  It states that it failed check in because some family table instance or instances, sometimes many instances of different family tables, of some part was not checked out. Therefore, you have to go out of this, and search Windchill for those instances and check them out, one by one. It makes it more difficult in that it is giving the Windchill number and not the Croe number. Then go back and try the check in again.  Most times it will again fail check in because Windchill now requires other instances to be checked out, and you find that out by opening the event manager and then opening the information window. 

The most frustrating part is that there is a box there on the screen with "Retry Options"  but this does not apply for this type of failure.

Windchill knows what it needs to check out before it can check in other objects, for that is the message that it gives, and lists every item that needs to be checked out.  A simple selection in the "Retry Options" would be "Check out now"  and then hit the retry button.  A little delay in getting objects checked in, but an easier way to collect and check out what is needed to check in.

Better yet , Windchill should prompt you during the check in process that it needs to check these items out, and allow that action be done befor the failure to check in.

Taking sometimes hours to check in an object because of these continuous failures and retries is a major road block to functionality of this product being a useful and productive tool for business.

Please fix this functionality to make it more user friendly.

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
dhermosillo
14-Alexandrite
(To:bjackson)

The other option is to set the objects as read only.  However, this also produces a failure to checkin as well as a failure to save the first time and the user has to notice and re-do the operation.

PTC will not fix it:

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/spr.jsp?n=2071117&source=Case%20Viewer

TomU
23-Emerald IV

This article is "not customer viewable".  Can you post a screenshot or copy and paste the text?

dhermosillo
14-Alexandrite

SPR Details - 2071117

SPR2071117
StatusClosed
SeverityHigh
Created Date09-May-2011
Last Updated16-May-2011
Closed Date
Respond By Date29-May-2011
DescriptionWhen objects are set to Read-Only during a save operation, the save operation will fail with "Save operation aborted" error in Event Manager.

Affected Products

ProductPro/ENGINEER and Creo Elements/Pro
ModuleWorkgroup Manager for Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire
Reported ReleaseWildfire 5.0
Reported DatecodeM070
Affected PlatformAll
Resolution Status
ReleaseStatusDatecode
Wildfire 5.0No Plans to Fix-
Creo 1.0No Plans to Fix-

Related Documents

TypeNumberStatusDescription
Case10216950Information ReceivedSave in Pro/ENGINEER fails when objects are set to Read Only during save operation
dhermosillo
14-Alexandrite

This fail to save is the same Windchill-Creo handshake issue as the failure to checkin.

It all stems from the incredibly poor integration between Creo and Windchill,

kpritchard
4-Participant

The thing that jumps out at me is why are the intances modifying?  It may be worth understanding why and trying to stabilize your family tables.  I've found that Relations in a Generic/FT can cause unintended modifications. 

Typically I use Check Out to "flag" the Creo files that I intend to modify.  When I'm ready to Check In I'll have a look at my Workspace to see what has been modified as a check for unintended modifications (layer display changes, etc.).  If I see any modifications that I don't want I'll Add them to Workspace again (with use Workspace version de-selected) to overwite with the Server version.  That clears the way for the upper level model to be Checked In.

Note, I use the Continue option when files are being modified as I go, which allows me to identify which files (Checked Out) I want to leave as modified and which (all other modified) I want to overwrite with unmodified files from the Server.

Hope this helps

The article to reference is https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS36595.

The first suggested solution, which is to use the collector gather related instances is the prefered one using the tools in the collector during check in.  If this is not working for you, I would like to understand the use case. Your TS rep contacted me to see if we could set up some time to understand why the first solution is not working for you.  It has worked for others.

In this case, the challenge we face is family table management.  While family tables can be useful design tools, managing  instances as individual objects that exist in the generic is a challenge. 

Top Tags