cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Default Units and ERP units

vmcdaniel
2-Guest

Default Units and ERP units

Hello,

I'm looking for some of your experience regarding units for WTparts and relating to EPR.

-Regarding Measured units-
In EPR we can use Inch, Foot, Yard, Meter, MM.
Windchill has one unit length, based on the unit system defined (SI - M, USCS - IN)
Is there any problem with adding all my EPR values to the Default Units in WC?

-Regarding percentage usage-
In EPR, we will add 0.125 QTY of a Sheetmetal sheet to the BOM of a Sheetmetal part.
Has anyone been down this road?

-Other unit types-
Rolls, Bags, Cartons, etc.
Any reasons NOT to add these as default units?

Thanks

Vaughn
2 REPLIES 2
cc-2
6-Contributor
(To:vmcdaniel)

Hi

my view is that PDM unit should be the same than ERP unit to start with.

So if you have something in Each, or Liter in PDM it should be the same in ERP.

ERP will surely also manage many other needs for instance for sales team you may need alternative unit of measure.

For instance, your PDM is in SI when you transfer to ERP, I would expect that whatever is created as master data will also be in SI but for sales in the US (as an example only 🙂 ) to work quickly and discuss with customer, they may need to see imperial units. This is only a conversion/translation at the ERP level which does not change the master data.

As for Rolls, Bags, Cartons. to me these are not unit of measure. They are, as SAP call them, material.

Your BOM will contain metalic parts but also a carton for the packaging for instance. Here we talk about type and not UoM for rolls, bags, carton etc....

As you said, you can configure Windchill to have more or less or different UoM than those provided per default per PDMLink.

Also how can you calculate total weight if you have a mixture of UoM.

For instance you have parts in kg, which are put in a carton but the unit of your carton is carton ?

Hope this helps

Best regards

cwillmann
6-Contributor
(To:cc-2)

Hi,

following this topic that might be already outdated, the answer of 'cc-2' above is not fully correct. Rolls, Bags, Cartons etc. as packaging materials are related to ERP alternative units of measure. For example you can specify that in total 8 pieces of your product fits into one carton. Example:

- Base unit of measure: each (or piece in ERP)

- alternative unit of mesure (AuM): carton

- numerator/denominator: 1/8

AlternateUnit.PNG

My question: I recognized that MPMLink's mPSE (10.2 M030) provides AUM, numerator and denumerator - but I could not find them in the PTC global attribute list. Are these depreciated attributes?

Thanks!

Top Tags