cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Delete Cache but Workspace Remains

bkurth
7-Bedrock

Delete Cache but Workspace Remains

Hi,

I'm a rather new user to Pro/E. We recently upgraded to WF4 and Windchill 8.x.

I am having an issue with my workspace getting corrupt. When I try to access the workspace, it causes Pro/E to shutdown. My CAD manager had me delete my cache directory and all trail files, and said that should delete the workspace and I could create a new workspace.

I have done that, but when I delete the cache directory and the trail files, I still have my workspace intact. It appears to work fine, too. Then, a few days later, the workspace will become corrupt again, causing Pro/E to fail.

My direct question is: My CAD manager says my system is not acting the way he would expect it to, in that, when I delete the cache files and the trail files, the workspace should be gone completely and need to be created again. My workspace remains after deleting the cache directory. Is that something new to WF4? Should my workspace be gone after deleting the cache directory and the trail files?

Thanks for any help.

Brian Kurth | Designer | -

1 REPLY 1
bkurth
7-Bedrock
(To:bkurth)

Here are some of the replies I have received. Hope they help others, too. Thanks to all of you who have sent me emails!

Right.

The beauty of it is that you can change and save files locally, even if you don't have write access to those files (you can only upload files to the serverside workspaces if you have write access to those files). Of course, if you have to delete you local cache, you loose your locally modified content 😞 The business case for this is that you can afford to brainstorm on released CAD files without jeopardizing the original files.

OK?

Regards, Hugo.

Sent: dinsdag 10 februari 2009 16:13
To: Hermans Hugo
Subject: RE: [solutions] - Delete Cache but Workspace Remains

I see...so, if I delete my local cache, I force a download from the server to my local cache. It will appear that the files are the same, but they are brand new from the server, right?
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:09 AM
To: Brian Kurth

Indeed. You can only access the local workspace from the embedded browser of ProE. That's the reason why you get extra columns in the workspace table when you access the workspace from the embedded browser.

The local cache is ment to speed up the retrieval of hugh amount of data. The first time you open an assembly after deleting the local cache, Windchill downloads all content files to your local cache before opening it in your session. The next time you open the assembly, the network traffic is limited to metadata, since all content files are available on your local workstation. Until you delete your local cache again ...

Regards, Hugo.

Sent: dinsdag 10 februari 2009 16:02
To: Hermans Hugo

Thanks for the quick reply, Hugo.
Question: When I run Pro/E and click on Workspace on the left side of my screen, I am opening my local workspace, correct? The server side needs to be entered from within Windchill...right?
The workspace that is not going away, is the local workspace within Pro/E, after deleting the cache. That is why I question what is happening.
Thanks...Brian
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:53 AM
Cc: Brian Kurth

Hi Brian,

Your serverside workspaces stays intact, your local cache only contains the local files that are not uploaded yet. Your local cache is based on structured files, and are for this reason prune to get corrupted. But deleting the local cache does not affect the serverside workspaces at all. This is a fundamental concept of Windchill, not of ProE.

One of the reasons your cache gets corrupted is a ProE crash. You can try to go to another build to have a more stable ProE.

Regards, Hugo.

--

No. The workspace is on the server. When you add to workspace or checkout it adds the files to the serverside cache (workspace)
and copies the files locally for performance improvement.
When you make changes, the changes are saved locally unless you upload (upload can be set to happen automatically on save via config.pro) or check in.
The only way to empty a workspace is to select the files in the intralink browser and click on remove.

KK

Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:48 AM
To: Kory Krofft

Thanks for the quick reply, Kory.
Shouldn't my workspace be empty, though, due to no more cache information?
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:41 AM

Brian,

The cache is just that, a cache. The workspace exists on the server. To delete the workspace, you must empty it then

delete it using the tools in Intralink.The local cache may contain information for more than one workspace.

Kory Krofft

Applications Engineer

Trimble Navigation Ltd.

5475 Kellenburger Rd.

Dayton, Oh 45424

Ph. 937.245.5356

<u>kory_krofft@trimble.com</u>

Top Tags